Thursday, October 12, 2023

Stand Up

For weeks now I've been convinced that my achy legs are a direct result of me sitting too much. I write, I draw, I knit, I read--everything I usually do I do sitting down. That's not good. So when someone last week suggested I get a standing desk I thought that might be a good idea. I looked on Amazon and all of the standing desks were 36" wide which is too big for my writing desk and I have nowhere else to put it in this little duplex. I kept scrolling. I found a laptop stand that got great reviews and was very reasonably priced so I ordered one and it came today. It was easy to assemble and fits perfectly on my desk. I spent a lot of the afternoon standing here rereading my manuscript and it worked just fine. I haven't yet tried to do much typing on it but I'll get to it and I suspect it'll work okay that way too.



The last of Dad's rosebuds has opened. There are a few straggly flowers on there but this one is the showpiece. It's beautiful and velvety and it smells great. Now if only the frost holds off for a week or so then I can enjoy it for its whole life.


When drawing zentangles this afternoon I made the frames bigger than I have before and that made the tangles easier to draw. I like the top one because it's drawn with a single line. It took a lot of concentration to squeeze the lines together and past each other to fill the frame.



Then I pulled out 20 Ways to Draw a Tree, paged to where I thought I might have left off and plunged in. I drew a feather, a winter tree, a stemmed flower, and an owl. Today I like them all.


Oh, I just got a chill. It's not cold in here but I just shivered. What does that mean? That someone walked over my grave? Yikes. I took a little walk again today. It's not getting much easier so I'm glad that I see the doctor on Monday afternoon. He'll probably tell me that I'm woefully out of shape, to stop complaining, and keep moving but I want to hear it from him and not the crabby little voice in my head. Also I think I might have sleep apnea because I wake up tired. Aging is certainly a challenge. But it's better than the alternative.

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt Barb said...

You are a resourceful girl. That laptop stand looks perfect and I'm glad you've found a way to get rid of some back pain. It's the worst. Take it from your old Aunt B. I've been coping with it for years but managing to hold my own as long as I have my Tramadol.