Thursday, May 18, 2023

Pink Tulips

I don't like pink. Especially not powder pink. But that's the color of the tulips blooming in front of the house. I don't think I planted pink tulips. I planted orange and purple tulips. Do you think that my orange tulips have turned pink? I don't think they can do that. I'm guessing that my memory is faulty but then what happened to the orange and purple ones that bloomed last year? Did they bloom while I was away or did the rabbits and squirrels develop a taste for that color?



Today I decided to try my hand at painting pansies. KA gave us one of her notecards with pansies on it so I tried to paint that. It turned out... all right, I guess. This is not excellent or even very good but I'll try again. I like the colors and realize where I went wrong. Mostly I wasn't patient enough to let the paint dry between steps. Maybe I need to get out the hair dryer to speed things along. Patience isn't one of my best virtues, at least not when it comes to watercolor.


I confess, I bought another drawing book the other day. It's called 20 Ways to Draw a Tree (and 44 other nature things). I opened it today and started drawing something from the first few pages. I drew a tree. I suck at drawing trees so this will be good practice. I drew a mushroom, an acorn, a leaf, a bird, and a flower. Tomorrow I'll draw a couple chibis out of the book that DD sent me for Mother's Day. Cross my heart. Those I have to color so it won't be just black ink and white paper.



I spent some time knitting on the Hayden Hawthorne Sock heel. It didn't go well. I got this far, halfway, ready to start the other half of the heel, and realized that it just wasn't right. Not even close. So I took this picture and then I pulled out the needles and frogged all of my work back to the sock leg. I'm going to reread the pattern to see if there's another heel I can knit on this sock or maybe I can figure out a way to use markers to stay on track. See, the yarn colors hide the wraps so I can't tell where I'm supposed to wrap and turn to go back and forth making the heel cup. Maybe I can count the rows so I know where I am. I don't know but I'll figure it out. I've done this heel once so I'm sure I can do it again. Eventually.


And I went down to the Central Library this afternoon to sort book for the first time in about a month. I go on Thursdays and my Thursdays have been busy. I suppose that I could go another day but to be honest I've been kinda busy on all days for the past month. Hopefully my life will settle down so I can go more regularly. All of the tables were full of boxes of books so I made a small dent in a big job. I opened a book to find the name of a friend again. That's so cool. I also finally mustered up my guts, pulled out a copy of each of my books from the carton I keep in the car, took them to the desk, and donated them to the library. Whew. Hopefully they won't show up down in the sorting room!


I probably shouldn't say it but I think that Spring is here in GB. Today was sunny and got up to 70. It's only supposed to get to 60 tomorrow but then warm right back up for the weekend and next week. As long as it doesn't snow again, that's all I ask.

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt Barb said...

The mystery of the pink tulips! Strange happening but can't the make-up of the soil do something to change the color. I know that can happen with hydrangeas -- they can be blue or lavender. I learned that when we had hydrangeas in Wilmington.