Sunday, September 14, 2014

Investing in Future Suppers

I'm cooking up a storm.  Last night after supper I made four meals worth of Chicken Parmesan.  It was real hard not to slice off a nibble but I resisted.

This morning I made four meals of French Onion Salisbury Steak.  Once again it was difficult not to have a taste, especially of the garlic cheese toast that you nestle the little burger patty on before you spoon on the luscious onion gravy/sauce, but I resisted.  I keep thinking of how nice it will be to pull out a little Tupperware or Glad container in the morning and have something delicious and nutritious to heat up for supper that evening.  I'd forgotten what a job it is to plan, shop, and cook a meal every day and takeout is not an option for our budget or our waistlines.

Next up is a casserole called Chicken Garden Medley that's supposed to have angel hair pasta as a base but Durwood was thinking that'd be too filling and the doc told him to eat more protein so he thought of making a base of onions, celery and carrots which aren't as filling as noodles, but I thought of buying a little spaghetti squash, baking it, and using that for the base.  Brilliant.  I'll let you know how it turns out.

The Photo A Day theme today is "healthy" so I snapped a picture of my cooked spaghetti squash and the bowl of fruit I'm thawing out for lunches next week.  I put the fruit (pineapple, strawberries, mango, peaches--it's a Dole mix I get at Sam's) into the food processor and make this pink slurry that I freeze and then eat like sorbet after I finish my chicken veg soup.  Yum.  You wish you had some, don't you?

I've been thinking a lot about those two football players in the news for abusing their loved ones this week.  We glorify athletes' aggressive behavior on the field of play just like we admire policemen and soldiers but we need to teach them all how to turn it off when they're not doing their job.  And I can not believe that woman who got knocked out in the elevator actually married that guy after that.  That poor woman needs some help, counseling, something.  When I was little we got spanked with a switch but when we were bigger we got spanked with a belt and none of us did that to our children so people can overcome their upbringing.  Somedays I think our society's going to Hell in a handbasket, but then I talk about a problem and friends rally around to hold me up and I think our society's just fine.

September 14--Paul Wirz, Women from Amboina.  Glenn hated them all.  All the women lined up there on the riverbank looking at him like he'd grown a foot out his forehead.  He could hear what they were thinking, how he was a bad fisherman, how he wasn't worth marrying or having sex with or even talking to.  He saw the superior smiles on some of the faces and thought it would be great to put his whole hand over those faces, one by one, and hold them under the muddy water of the river until they stopped thrashing.

I've got some laundry to fling around since I changed all the sheets and towels, and a mountain of dishes to wash.  Yes, we have a dishwasher but it's full, plus I have to wash things so I can make the next recipe.  I'm off to cook!  I just keep thinking of how happy I'll be to have suppers in the freezer and that keeps me going.  Two down, one to go!
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

You are wise beyond your years! Making all those delicious-sounding dishes to have stashed in the freezer is such a wonderful idea. I love to have something pre-made that I can whip out for dinner on those (many) afternoons I've spent at the bridge table!