Monday, January 27, 2014

The Dutch Baby

I do not know why a popover/pancake thing is called that but it was good.  I followed the directions to the letter; 3 Tablespoons of butter, 3 eggs, 6 Tablespoons each of flour & milk, 1 Tablespoon each of sugar & vanilla, a pinch of nutmeg; heat the oven to 425 and put the butter into a cold iron skillet and put it into the oven to preheat.  Then whisk together the rest of the ingredients and slap the batter into the butter filled skillet and put it back into the oven for 15 minutes or until it's golden.  Fill with fruit and dust generously with powdered sugar.  The recipe says to squeeze lemon juice over the fruit but that's not our taste, and to top it with a dollop of whipped cream.  We had a bowl of cut up
pineapple, strawberries, and blueberries that I spooned on but you could use any fruit and it might be better warmed up or sauteed, and we didn't have whipped cream.  But it was tasty.  I think the iron skillet's the secret to success since Durwood's brother, RJ, tried to make a Dutch Baby for us when we were down there in a Teflon skillet and then a Pyrex baking dish, both just made flat pancakes not a poofy creation like this.  We'll make it again, next time with breakfast meat of some kind on the side.

We needed some groceries so I made a run around noon when the sun was out and the wind was light, had a sandwich, and then called DS to see if I could stop over to drop off some soup, the chicken peels, and see LC after bowling with KW later in the afternoon, but DIL1 told me that LC was wide awake right then and they'd hoped to take a family nap later in the afternoon so could I come now.  Yes, that was my answer, an unqualified yes.  She was awake when I got there, awake and not crying, and for the first time she actually looked at me.  I could see in her eyes that she was seeing me, considering me, so I introduced myself and asked her to call me
Grandma (or whatever she wanted to call me).  Soon enough she had a little cry, I shushed and swooped her, and she dropped off to sleep.  It was hard to put her down, to give her back so I wouldn't be late at bowling.  I was only a little late.

I got better!  I still bowled gutter balls but I did break a hundred both games.  I rolled a pair of 103s.  Woohoo, me!  This time we were at Willow Creek lanes on the east side because Ashwaubenon Lanes had a CP center party and the place would be mobbed.  I think next time we'll try a lanes out in Howard.  Pretty soon my fingers will stop hurting when I bowl, right?  It takes us about an hour to bowl 2 games and costs less than ten bucks.  Where else can you have indoor fun for that cheap and still get some exercise?

January 27--American, Dress.  Julia was stuck for a costume idea.  She had no intention of going into a shop to buy a ready-made one so she would look like a superhero or somebody's wet dream.  She wanted her costume to be clever, creative and, most of all, unique.  While carrying the Sunday paper out to the recycling bin she stumbled and dropped it and had an idea.  She went to the fabric store for some fusible webbing and she bought a white cotton dress from a thrift store.  She used the webbing to decoupage torn pages of the Sunday newspaper to the dress, placing the headlines on the bodice and the classifieds at the hem.  She even had the crossword puzzle on the skirt with a pencil tied to a loop on her belt.

Oh man, it's back to being sunny and windy and c-c-c-c-cold.  I'll be wearing wooly layers to work today and I predict there'll be a cup of hot chocolate in my hands when I get home this evening.  Stay warm.  Bundle up.

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Dutch Baby -- snoozing baby. Both noteworthy but the sleeping girl wins out every time!