Saturday, May 27, 2023

A Whole Bunch of Irises

When I opened the drapes this morning I saw that a whole bunch of iris buds had opened overnight. They're so pretty even if they are blue purple, which is not one of my favorite colors. I'm hoping that the water they're getting because of the new plants around them will give the stalks enough strength to hold up the heavy flower heads. I tried painting an iris this afternoon. It was a disaster. I threw it away before it was even dry. I forgot everything I learned. *sigh*



On my way to Home Depot for some coleus plants and some potting soil I was just about to turn off Mennen Ct. (my street) onto 7th St. when I saw movement next to the curb. There was the hen turkey that had been hanging around the neighborhood leading at least eight little chicks. I wonder where the nest was and where they were going.


I'm glad I went to Home Depot for coleus because they were in flats of eight plants, I have four planters, so buying two flats gave me the right number of plants. So much more math when they're in flats of three.They look a little flopped over because I had just watered them and the spray was stronger than I thought.



When I was planting the last pot I glanced over and noticed a yellow blob on the wood chips. I have slime mold! It's about the diameter of a saucer. I don't know why but I think it's very cool. I'm not touching it though.


Yesterday I planted the patio pots with red geraniums and red salvia. I try to have red flowers in the back to lure in the Hummingbirds. I saw Hummingbirds a couple times today but didn't have the chance to take a picture. I'm just happy when I see one.



I took my drawing out onto the patio again today and again today I repelled all of the birds except one Bluejay that landed on the birdbath for a drink. It calmly drank its fill and then flew away but not before giving me the eye. These are from the book 20 Ways To Draw A Tree (and other things from nature).


And I finished the Punto Washcloth this evening. I only had about ten more rows, each row one stitch shorter than the last, until I got back down to three stitches and bound off. I weighed the cloth, it's 27 grams, which means I have 23 grams of yarn left. So maybe I'll make a smaller washcloth to use up the yarn?


I tried writing today but didn't get very far. I don't know if adding the old spies to the story is going to be the solution but I'll keep them because I like them. The big problem is that I shifted Point of View to first person so Rose has to witness or at least hear things which restricts the interactions of other characters. I'll figure it out. Or not.

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt Barb said...

Lucky you to see the turkey family on parade. So glad you were able to get a picture of them.