Thursday, December 12, 2019

Only a Slinky

 


I took down the last feeder this morning.  Didn't see hide nor feather of any birds but today was gray and dreary, and snowy by 11am.  The birds are like me, more active when it's sunny.




 
Happily it didn't snow all day, just enough to make the streets slick, which meant that my drive to LC's first holiday concert a little exciting.  I hate when I turn a corner and the rear tires slip.  *sigh*  But I made it just fine and the concert was adorable, especially LC.  She was the best, of course, and the most animated.


T the trainer focused on arms and shoulders today.  I fully expect to lose function in my arms by tomorrow.  Tylenol for a bedtime snack again.



I spent the rest of the day playing with yarn.  Finished the heel of the crocheted stocking...




then I cast on a knitted training sock which is about half done.


Tomorrow I start the Christmas cooking and making.  I'll be baking party mix, cooking English toffee, and mixing up a vat of Sloppy Joe for when DD and family are here.  That should keep me busy for a while.



12 December--Barbara Malcolm, Spies Don't Retire. 

            George wasn’t the keep-in-touch half of the marriage.  He relied on Sonia to send chatty emails and letters to family and friends.  But the increasing pressure of having to sneak around to spend time with Dimitri called for desperate measures.  So George, who was great at writing reports on missions, sat at his computer fumbling over an email to his son. 
Dear son, he wrote, I would appreciate it if you would ship me a wireless-capable laptop and a wireless router.  The laptop doesn’t need to be new, one of the refurbished ones your firm has lying around would do just fine.  Be a good chap and don’t mention this to your mother.  And don’t put your return address on the package, I don’t want your mother asking questions.  We are fine.  Thanks, Dad.
And then he hit “send.”  He sat watching the cursor blink wishing he could unsend it.  He hated to embroil his son in the mess he had created but knew no other way to get another wireless laptop on the island.  There weren’t any computer shops like at home.



I just looked out the window and my renter cleared my driveway for me.  The snow wasn't particularly deep but... Hooray!
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Yay for your renter. Chivalry is not dead!! I'm assuming it was a guy out there doing the shoveling. Lots of rain down here but we need it so I'm not complaining. Poor George -- having to sneak around and even get his son involved. Life can be complicated -- especially for spies.