Friday, December 27, 2019

Feed A Cold?

Or is it starve a cold?  It must be "feed" since people take soup to people with a cold and all they give those feverish types is aspirin and OJ.  So I whipped up a pot of chicken eggdrop soup this afternoon.  Oh, it's so good and it feels good on my sore-ish throat.


I tucked the last bit of novel into the manuscript this morning and I think it's done.  No, really, I think it's finished.  I got to 78k words which is slightly less than the 80k they talked about but for now I feel done.  It's a very odd feeling.

Yesterday I whammed myself in the boob with a 10 lb. medicine ball at the Y and have a lovely pale purple bruise.  I didn't think I hit it that hard but evidently I did.  No photos, sorry.





I found a bamboo stake and some velcro strips so I could bind up the amaryllis leaves but when I went to truss it up all but one leaf was already upright.  I staked it anyway.  The leaf that wasn't upright had broken off at the base.  Still no stalk.




 
I went to Friday Knitting for an hour tonight and came home to sit in my own house where I've got an afghan for my lap and I knitted on that blasted felted hat.  It's just over 10 inches and I need 13.  Remind me never to knit a felted hat again.  It's neverending.

27 December--Barbara Malcolm, Spies Don't Retire. 

George was sick of the deception, sick of skulking around the tiny island of Bonaire where everyone knew everyone else’s business.  He was tired of lying to Sonia, having to mind everything he said to her.  It was what he had retired to get away from and here he was back in the saddle and, what was worse, it was a saddle of his own making.  He was ready to tell the truth and take the consequences, but he had to talk it over with Dimitri.  George couldn’t tell Sonia if Dimitri wasn’t ready to tell Irina because he knew that Sonia would not be able to keep that bombshell to herself.  She would be so angry that she would shout his duplicity to the rooftops.  He should send Dimitri an email after Sonia went to bed.  He was lucky that England was in an earlier time zone so she didn’t ask questions when he stayed up later to get in touch with his handler on the secure line or when he was up before dawn decoding the night’s dispatches.  She hadn’t complained about the expense when he bought a shredder at the Bonaire Warehouse either.  He had been mortified and struggled to keep his face still when the gregarious woman at the register commented about there being a run on shredders because a nice Russian man had been in earlier buying the very same thing.  She caught him by surprise and he almost shushed her.  As it was he got an odd look from the woman because he had jerked when she said it.  Ten years ago a reaction like that would have gotten him killed.


Someone said we're supposed to get two inches of rain tomorrow.  Lord, I hope not.  There's no place for it to go now that the ground's frozen, although I noticed the other day that the crocuses and grass in front of the house is turning green.  Too early.  Get back to brown.  Save yourselves.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Your egg drop soup looks delicious and I'm sure it'll do the trick with your cold and sore throat. We had Chinese the other night just because I refused to cook and your soup looked better than ours from China One. Weird, weird weather. Maybe we say that every year but this year seems worse. Congrats on declaring "Seaview" finished! Can't wait to see it in print. I'm ordering an autographed copy the minute it's available on Amazon.