Tuesday, December 24, 2019

Merry Christmas To All!

It's Christmas Eve.  Already.  Imagine that.  It seems like just the other day it was Halloween, doesn't it?  This morning DD and SIL1 found an indoor play place for IA to run his wiggles out, not that it did much good.  After all, he is going to be 2 years old tomorrow and we all know that people that age are made of wiggles and contrariness.  I met them at Kroll's for lunch and had a traditional cheeseburger with everything, including a pat of butter, and an order of fried cheese curds.  Cheese, butter, and fried cheese--what's not to love??  At least I had water to drink, the others had shakes.  Too much.




This is a terrible picture but yesterday I saw that there's a bud on my Christmas cactus.  I've had it for years,  kept it alive, but it hasn't ever bloomed.  But it has a bud and a few tiny pink maybe-buds.  Oh, I hope it blooms and doesn't fall off.





The amaryllis is going gangbusters.  It's at least two inches taller than it was two days ago.  No stalk yet but surely one will grow soon.  It's getting to the point where I'm thinking of finding a bamboo stake to tie it to.





I'm over halfway knitting the felted hat.  It's huge and will get huge-er before I plunk it into the washer with hot water and a pair of old jeans for abrasion to felt it into a size that will fit my head and not engulf it.



24 December--Barbara Malcolm, Spies Don't Retire.

At the other tables all eyes were on Billie and the women she had surrounded herself with.  The rest of them had divided themselves into Sonia’s and Irina’s supporters so they sat with their little cliques.  None of them were perceptive enough to realize that neither woman had encouraged them to chose a side, nor had they stirred the pot by saying mean things about the other.
“Don’t you wish you were sitting there?” one said.
Six heads all shook.
“You’re so brave, you go sit up there,” another one challenged her.
“I don’t have a death wish,” the first one said, “I’d just love to know what’s being said.”
At the other table a very similar conversation was occurring.  No one commented about the delicious conch salad or about the lovely day.  All eyes, all ears strained to learn what was going on at the table with two empty seats.



Tomorrow DS is giving us a tour of the brewery before we celebrate Christmas there.  I can't wait.  I'll be sure to take my camera.  And Santa/DD left new jammies on my bed "so you look good on the Christmas morning pictures."  Pictures?  Yikes.  I am not photogenic in the morning. Too bad the felted hat isn't done, I could hide in there.

And to all a good night.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Everything's growing at your place -- the plants, the tiny tyke, the brewery -- even your waistline if you eat too many cheese curds! But hey -- it's Christmastime. All bets are off. Sounds like you're having a wonderful time. Merry, Merry Christmas to the whole gang.