Sunday, December 15, 2019

Still More Making

As usual when I get going making things I have a hard time stopping.  This morning I cooked up a batch of English toffee and was smart enough to spread it into my biggest (and most ancient [it was my mother-in-law's]) sheet pan.  I was also smart enough to cook it until it smelled like it was about to burn which makes it just right.  Oh, it's so good.





Quite a bit of the day was taken up with gift wrapping.  I always thing that I don't have too many things to wrap but then it comes wrapping time and I spend quite a bit of time with pretty paper, scissors, and tape.  I love gift bags.



 

Even though there are only three more rounds to be knitted on the dark purple tiny mitten I forgot about it and cast on a Felted Hat out of stash yarn.  I'm determined to use the yarn that I have before buying any new stuff.  I'm trying to get rid of it as fast as I can knit it up, but I'm a slow knitter that seems to be getting slower.


 


The sun shone today!  Really.  All. Day. Sunshine.  After days and days of deep clouds I awoke this morning to a blue sky without a cloud in sight.  Ah.  Heaven.




To my great surprise a pair of sparrows came for a bath.  It was in the single digits but these two crazy birds plunked themselves into the birdbath and splashed around for quite a few minutes.  Goofy things.

15 December--Barbara Malcolm, Spies Don't Retire. 

“Oh for God’s sake, George,” she would say, “there are people whose job it is to pick up that stuff.  Can’t you just leave it?  It makes the car smell.”
George would just smile and nod, and continue picking up whatever he had stopped for.  “You know, Sonia, vegetation would grow over this stuff before the sanitation workers get to it.  Besides, you’ve seen the signs: Tene Bonairu Limpi—Keep Bonaire Clean.  That makes litter everyone’s job.  I’m just doing my job.”
Sonia would roll her eyes and mutter under her breath, “I married Sir Galahad when I thought I’d married Sir Lancelot.”
George would smile at her and lightly place a hand on her knee, “I wager my Sir Lancelot tendencies outweigh the Sir Galahad ones by a mile.”
She would smile and have to agree while delicately removing his hand from its sly trip toward her lap.


After the game started I dragged myself to the Y to walk on a treadmill while listening to a podcast.  I didn't walk far, only half a mile, but it's better than not walking at all.  I'll go again on Tuesday.  I'm trying to decide if I want to buy an electric blanket for the guest room bed.  I'll be sleeping in there while DD and family are here and I've been turning on the side of the blanket I'm not sleeping under so I can stick my feet in the warm.  I know that sounds nuts but I get too hot if I'm under the turned-as-low-as-possible blanket but I'm too cold without it.  Durwood used to tease me that I invaded his warm side of the bed and I guess this winter's proof that I did.  Sorry, Old Guy, I didn't mean to crowd you.  But I'd do it again in a heartbeat if you were here and healthy.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

The shot of the birdie tree against the blue sky is my favorite today. So glad you had some sunshine. Run to Walmart and buy an electric blanket and your feet with thank you all next week. Sleeping in the guest room might put you off somewhat but cold feet would be too much to bear.