Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Snow Tracks

 

I was happy to see a Downy Woodpecker come to the suet feeder this morning even though the temps were in the low single digits all day (at least it was sunny)...


and then a pair of Juncos came to peck at any morsels of suet that might have fallen.  Thats when I saw them--RAT tracks in the snow right in front of the Junco.  At first I tried to convince myself that they were bird tracks or maybe chipmunk tracks but, in my heart of hearts, I knew that they were RAT tracks.  So I guess I'll go out tomorrow to take down even the suet cakes.  *sigh*  I miss the birds but I dislike the RAT even more so I'll be removing the last food source.  And I'll be making more poison pellet pucks because I found another RAT hole next to the patio.  Grr.



This afternoon I met ACJ down at The Attic to write for a couple hours and she brought me a Christmas present--a jar of cherry jam from Door County and a pair of goldfish-in-a-bag earrings, you know, like you get at the fair.  Fun!  I got a little roofer wrap-up scene written and a few more chapters of read-through done.





On my way home I stopped for gas and bananas, and dropped off my old printer to the place where they recycle them (in the terrible cold?  yep, can't let the gas get below half a tank in the frigid cold) so it was close to 4:00pm when I got back here.  That gave me time to make one nose and embroider one face on the Christmas toy because it's just too hard to work with black once it's dark.







So I poked around to see what works in progress were laying around and I found one from 2016 that I decided to pick up.  I found a pattern for an Advent calendar, um, swag.  It's twelve mittens and twelve socks/stockings that you attach to a crocheted yarn chain and hang it up with candy or tiny gifts in each one for the 24 days of December before Christmas.  I meant to make it for LC and OJ but ran out of steam.  I have nine mittens and six stockings finished so I grabbed a crochet hook and got the next stocking almost done, it just needs the heel.  Maybe one of these days I'll get it all done.







This picture of my amaryllis bulb sprout is for one of my knitting friends.  It's her first time growing one and she thinks that hers isn't right.  Well, this is mine.  I've had it at least two if not three weeks and it's grown a whopping half inch in all that time but I think now is when it's going to shoot up.  Now that it's gotten used to its pot and feels settled.  It's changed a lot in the last couple days so I have high hopes for having a blossom one of these weeks.  Fingers crossed.




11 December--Barbara Malcolm, Spies Don't Retire. 

“That wasn’t so hard,” said Sonia as she and Harriet drove away from the first Art League gathering that she had truly enjoyed since arriving.
“What?”  Harriet’s head had been lolling against the headrest.  She had imbibed a bit too much wine and her head was feeling more than a bit fuzzy.
“Being nice to the Czarina.  I told George I would, so that his mission would go more smoothly.”
“Mission?”
“Harriet, pay attention!”  Sonia glanced over at her friend to see her eyelids at half-mast and her jaw a bit slack.  “How much wine did you drink?”
Harriet turned to face her in super slow motion.  “Oh, I don’t know, three or six glasses?”
Sonia laughed.  “No wonder you can’t focus.  We’ll talk about it tomorrow.”
“Mmmmm.”  And Harriet was asleep.
It was a good thing the island was so small.  Sonia didn’t have too much trouble rousing her friend when they got to the orange bungalow.  Max was smoking on the patio when she pulled in and helped get his tipsy wife out of the Rover.  Sonia helped support Harriet into the house and held her upright while Max stripped off her clothing.  They eased her into bed and went back to the patio.  Max picked up his pack of Nevadas, the god-awful cigarettes from Curacao.
“Smoke?”   
Sonia shook her head.  “I was determined to quit when we moved here; one drag and I am sure I couldn’t quit again.”  She pushed the pack toward him.  “You go ahead, though.  I rather enjoy watching other people smoke.”
Max chuckled and shook one out of the pack and lit it.  “So how was the bun fight?”
“It wasn’t a bun fight as you so coarsely put it; it was an Art League meeting.”
“Were there any men there?”
She shook her head.
“Then it’s a bun fight.”
“Chauvinist.”
He shrugged that off and looked at her expectantly.  “Well?”
She picked up his lighter and began twisting it in her fingers.  “It was fine.  Christina James had her drawings and paintings on display.  She’s very talented, way more than many of the artist wannabes on the island, including moi.”
He blew a stream of smoke at her.  “That’s not what I meant.  How did it go with the Czarina?”
A laugh sputtered from Sonia’s lips.  “How did you know I call her that?”
“It stands to reason, doesn’t it?  She’s a Russian and you think she’s an egotistical bitch; what else would you call her?”
“True.”  She put down the lighter and clasped her hands in front of her as if she were making a report in school.  “Well, Harriet and I were looking at the art and Irina came right over to us.  I introduced her to Harriet and she was very nice.  We commented about Christina’s works and said which ones we liked.  And then Irina, well, she actually compared them to my photos.  That astonished me.”
“Why?”  He stubbed out his cigarette.
“Because she has spent every other meeting letting everyone know how much of a hack she thinks I am.  I straight out told her I didn’t think I was an artist.  That what I do is child’s play and that any eight year old could do it and do it better.  I think that was the key to her unbending.”
“How so?”  He lit another cigarette, and Sonia had to clamp her teeth to keep from saying, another—so soon?
“Well, after I said that, she walked around the rest of the display with us and she was actually fairly nice.”



I couldn't believe that I went out to two grocery stores this morning in the bone-chilling cold to get all of the stuff I need for sloppy joes and a spiral-sliced ham (on sale at ALDI) and a bunch of other things for making party mix but I forgot the slivered almonds for English toffee and, of course, neither of the other grocery stores I stopped at this afternoon had them.  What's up with that?  I'll stop someplace else tomorrow on my way home from the Y so I've got all the ingredients for cooking up a storm this weekend.  It was so cold today and a little windy but I had on layers of clothes and even wore a hat (having the dreaded hat hair) because, damn, it was cold.  Tomorrow it's supposed to be 34 degrees and snow a couple inches.  If it isn't one thing, it's another.  C'est la vie.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

OK -- here's my latest solution to the rat problem: Dig a trench around the house, fill it with water like a moat and that'll keep the rat out. No wait! The moat would freeze so forget that plan. Drat it! I love any kind of Advent Calendar and yours with mittens and stockings is too cute. Hope you finish it at some point in time. Can't decide whether to make the English Toffee this year. Some of it hung around forever last year. And don't ask me how to explain that because that stuff is so delicious.