Sunday, September 29, 2019

Reinforcements

 

Late this afternoon I went to the grocery for bananas and when I got home I saw a hawk on the fence surveying the backyard.  I hoped that THE RAT ventured out for some seed just as the hawk was looking for a meal but no luck.  However seeing the raptor here gave me hope that either the poison pellets or nature itself would help me vanquish the interloper.



 
This morning I decided to make a pot of "What's on Hand" Egg Drop Soup.  Last year I found a WW recipe for Egg Drop Soup and every time I made it I doctored it up with chicken, bok choy, and mushrooms.  Today I had just about a cup of rotisserie chicken, some chopped superfood salad that was near the end of its life, and a sauteed half-pound of mushrooms so that's what ended up in the pot, along with some diced onions and bell peppers.  I finish the soup off with a tiny 1/4 teaspoon of sesame oil which makes the house smell even more divine.  On such a cool and rainy day, this cup of soup made the perfect lunch.



I finished knitting the Riana Watch Cap this afternoon. I used up all of the green yarn and almost all of the brown yarn.  This hat turned out bigger than I anticipated.  I probably should have made the Women's size instead of the Men's but I have faith that there'll be a big-headed kid around that needs a hat.



Once the hat was done I decided to abandon the charity knitting for now and work on LC's mitten #2.  I had the cuff done and knitted through the thumb gusset.  I'm really glad that I made detailed notes of how many rows and what size needles I used when making mitten #1.  That way I have a slim chance of making mittens that match.





29 September--Barbara Malcolm, Horizon. 

             It tuned out that my oldest had decided that he and Merry needed their own vehicle for their visit home, which turned out to be a good thing.  They drove in almost before Matt had unloaded the last suitcase.  By the time all three boys and their wives and kids had arrived and dinner was on the table, I was a nervous wreck.  I thanked God it was May, and my grandsons, all those noisy, energetic boys, could be sent outdoors once the food had disappeared to get dirty and holler to their hearts' content.
            After supper, Abel took Aaron, Matt, and all three daughters-in-law out to see the redesigned garden before it got too dark.  Sam volunteered to stay inside and help me clear the table and load the dishwasher.  As he carried a stack of plates to the counter he said, “Why’s he here?”
            Looking up from putting the silverware in the dishwasher basket, I said, “Who?”
            Sam nodded in the direction of the garden.  “Abel Baker, the obnoxious jerk.  I thought you didn’t like him.”
            I straightened and stood facing him, hands on hips, “Don’t you read my weekly emails?”
            “Yeah.”
            “Well, when you read them, did you get a hint that I don’t think he’s such an obnoxious jerk anymore?”
            “I guess.”  He turned back to the table for more dirty dishes.  “I kind of thought he was a geezer you were taking pity on and spending a little time with.”
            I grabbed another handful of dirty forks and spoons and went back to work.  “I did write about going cross-country skiing and hiking in Door County, right?”  He nodded.  “Did you think I was pushing him along in a wheelchair or something?”
            “Well, no, not really.”
            I looked into my son’s unhappy face and softened my voice.  “Then, what’s bothering you?”
            He sat down in one of the kitchen chairs and wiped his forehead.  “I don’t know, Mom.  It just seems like you really like this guy and I don’t know anything about him.”  He looked up frowning, “And what about Dad?”
            I sat down next to him and put my hand on his arm.  “Honey, you know I loved Dad, but he’s been gone for almost ten years now.  That’s a long time.  Abel is the first man I’ve met who makes me laugh, seems to like me, and doesn’t want me to change into someone I’m not.  I’m having a good time with Abel.”
            “Yeah, Mom,” he said, looking at me, “what if he decides he wants to marry you or something.”
            I reached over and hugged him.  “I appreciate your concern, but we haven’t even been dating a year.   Abel hasn’t said a word about marriage.  Don’t you worry.  I’ll let you know before I do anything drastic.”  And it’s too late to worry about “or something,” I thought.  We’re already “or something”-ing like crazy.
            He sat back and rubbed his eyes, just like he had when he was little.  “I worry about you, Mom, living out here all alone.”
            “I know you do, honey, and I appreciate it.  I’m fine.  Clara and Hank are right next door.  And I’m a big girl now, I can take care of myself.”
            We finished loading the dishwasher, started it, and went outside to join the rest of the family.  I watched Sam stand at the edge of the group and glare at Abel.  I half expected Sam to slap him across the face with a glove and call him out for a duel.  It was a relief when Abel said his goodnights and drove away.

What a crappy day today was.  It was raining when I got up and drizzled or misted most of the rest of the day.  I went out for a walk in the afternoon and got pelted with a few raindrops but didn't need the little umbrella I carried.  It didn't hit 60 degrees today and is supposed to get nearly up to 80 tomorrow and Tuesday.  I don't understand the weather.  How do I pack for my week at The Clearing?  I leave on Saturday and haven't got a clue what to take.  Help.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Doesn't seem possible that tomorrow will be October already. Where does the time go? And the crazy weather doesn't help. I hope it's perfect when you're at The Clearing. That place is so beautiful in your pictures that a rainy week would be a crime. Abel is going to have his work cut out for him to win over Sam. But past experience says he'll carry the day. All in good time.