Friday, September 20, 2019

Rats!

Turns out I didn't off THE RAT last week after all.  I didn't see it for a few days and thought I'd been successful.  Not so fast.  There it was, sleek and speedy, darting out to snack on the seed I spilled when I filled the feeders.  Dang.  So I bought a jar of peanut butter at the Dollar Tree the other day and pounded more Warfarin into powder, mixed a stronger blend, and plopped it out there.  I got all excited when this furry head appeared between the planters and munched on the pb & poison but then it lifted its head and I saw it was a squirrel.  *sigh*  Not that THE RAT is anywhere near as big as a squirrel but I fooled myself into thinking that I'd outsmarted it.



On my turn through Walmart this morning I went over into the Garden department and found some of the last rat traps in the store and brought them home.  I'm going to spread some pb on bread (I bought some "reduced for quick sale" bread too) and set the traps.  Man, I hope something works.  I do not want to go into winter with a resident rat.  I'm going to lay off feeder filling for a couple weeks to encourage it to go elsewhere (sorry, neighbors) or I'm going to catch it in one of these scary strong traps.  Wish me luck.





This afternoon I cast on the first of four mittens, 2 for LC and 2 for OJ, using The World's Simplest Mittens pattern from Tin Can Knits.  I chose it because it's written in 5 sizes from Toddler to Adult L and for 4 different yarn weights from Fingering to Bulky.  See how far I got just today?  I even had a surprise nap in mid-cuff and I'm still about halfway up the thumb gusset.  Zoom!






These flowers amused me.  I imagined the rose leaning over to have a conversation with the mums.  I know that flowers don't talk but none of the other roses have descended from their lofty perch to commune with the other plants around them.





20 September--Barbara Malcolm, Horizon.  
            The rising sun’s rays shining in the front windows woke me up just after eight the next morning.  We were still sitting on the couch, Abel’s arm around my shoulder.  His head had fallen back and each of his exhaled breaths carried a tiny snore that ruffled my hair.  The fireplace was cold and the small light on the sofa table still glowed.  My right arm was asleep and when I moved my head, my neck cracked.  That little sound was enough to wake Abel.
            “Oh good lord, we fell asleep.”  He groaned.  “It’s been a long time since I’ve slept on a couch.”
            “Me too.”  I sat up and stretched, waggling my head on my neck, trying to work out the kinks.  “I’ll bet that’s not how you imagined the evening ending.”
            “As a matter of fact, no, it isn’t.  I’m sorry I fell asleep.”
            “Hey, don’t apologize.  I fell asleep too.”  I looked around for my purse, picked it up and got my keys out.  “I hate to eat, sleep, and run, but I think I’ll head on home.”
            Abel stood up, accompanied by a symphony of crackling joints.  “Can I make you some coffee before you go?”
            My negative reply was lost in a yawn that my hand wasn’t big enough to cover.  “I think I’d like to get out the door before all your neighbors see me and jump-start the gossip wires this early.  Can you get my coat, please?”
            He got my black wool coat from the hall closet and held it for me to put on.  Once it was on my shoulders, he turned me to face him and began buttoning it.  “Sure I can’t convince you to stay?” he asked, leaning to kiss me.
            I held a hand over my mouth.  “No kisses, please.  I have dog breath, not exactly the impression I want to leave you with.  We can kiss more another time.  Thanks for the lovely evening.”
            He walked me to the door and opened it for me.  Just as quickly he shut it.  “Can you wait a minute while I get out of these clothes and into a bathrobe?”
            “Why?”
            Pointing across the street, he said, “I just noticed Edna Watson, the gossip queen of Elm Street’s light is on.  If you’re completely dressed and I’m in my robe, imagine the quality gossip she’ll have to tell today.”  He laughed his slow sexy chuckle.
            I grabbed his chin.  “You, Mr. Baker, are incorrigible.”  I kissed him.
            “Aha!  You said you had dog breath but I made you kiss me anyway.”  He reopened the door.
            “Goodbye, crazy man,” I said as I walked to my car between the extinguished lumeñeros.  “Call me later.”
            “Okay.”
            “After my shower--and nap.”  I unlocked my frosted car.
            “Happy Valentine’s Day, Gail?” he called as I got in.
  I started the engine and rolled down the window.  “The best, Abel, the absolute best.”  I drove home, smiling and humming along with the radio.


I got invited to go on a spur-of-the-moment road trip to Sturgeon Bay tomorrow.  I'm in!  Sayonara basket of laundry that needs folding.  Arivederci lawn mower.  I'm outta here.  Just for the day but still...  Oh, and you people who thought Gail would get an engagement ring from Abel for Valentine's Day, not a chance.  There's too much that Gail wants to do and too much fun they have together to have that in the story just yet.
--Barbara

2 comments:

ACJ said...

I learned a new method for catching that dirty rat! Call me.

Aunt B said...

OK, I'll be patient and give the lovebirds time. He was certainly patient about getting Gail to come around. Maybe persistent is a better word. I wasn't sure about him at the beginning. Those traps are going to do the job on Mr. Rat. They look lethal. And the mittens are so much more fun than the Fisherman's Cardigan. No wonder you're zipping along. Have fun on your road trip today.