Sunday, September 22, 2019

One Mitten

 


I finished the first LC mitten just now and made copious notes so that mitten #2 has a chance of being of similar size.  Fingers crossed.







I spent most of the day sorting through a lot of yarn, pulling out stuff that I know I'll never knit with and putting it into a couple totes because in November instead of a program at the Bay Lakes Knitting Guild meeting we're going to have a yarn swap/sale/giveaway.  Since I didn't buy most of the yarn I sorted out I intend to give it away.  I very intelligently made notes on my Ravelry stash pages which yarns I'm sorting out so that it won't say that I have something that I don't.  I didn't delete any of it in case I bring some home and have to reenter the skeins.


At the October meeting we're supposed to have an unmarked paper bag with a skein of yarn and a pattern in it, then we'll each take a different bag home and knit whatever's in there for the December meeting instead of a dishcloth exchange.  I knew that I had a bag with a skein of yarn and a simple scarf pattern in it already and luckily it was in the first bin I sorted through.  Whew.  Saved me from having to think too hard about it.


I didn't make a rat trap/swimming pool today.  I'll get to that tomorrow.  It was so rainy today that I just left the traps out there overturned and tripped.  I'll set them tomorrow too.  Maybe.





The Downy Woodpecker came to the suet today.



 
And I had a stroll down memory lane for breakfast.  When I was little my Grandma Babe made Pillsbury Orange Rolls when I'd sleep over and they've been nagging at the back of my mind.  Well, I was grocery shopping the other day and there they were, in an end-cap cooler, staring right at me, so I bought them.  And today I baked them.  They weren't as delicious as I remembered, there were no little pieces of orange zest in the frosting, but they were okay.  I don't think I'll be tempted again.

22 September--Barbara Malcolm, Horizon. 

Art shows, art shows, art shows.  Abel and I must have gone to ten of them that month.  School gyms, church basements, town halls--all of them smelling of wet wool and bodies, with shuffling crowds of winter-weary people, art lovers, cabin fever sufferers, and the just plain bored looking at real art, good amateur art, and a lot of god-awful art.
By the end of our art tour that month, I thought I would scream if I saw one more crocheted dishcloth or painted wood "Welcome" plaque.  At the beginning I found myself comparing my paintings, usually unfavorably, to the ones on display, but by the time the tour was winding down I had acquired a bit of objectivity and could see that my work was better than 90% of what was on offer.
"See, Gail?" Abel whispered in my ear as we passed yet another booth filled with bad watercolors.  "I told you you're a real artist.  Most of these people are just hobbyists or hacks."
I poked him in the ribs.  "Shhh.  You'll hurt their feelings,” I nodded at a scowling man staring at us from the booth, "or start a fight.  I think you might have insulted his wife."
He put his arm around my waist and walked a bit faster.  "Not that I couldn't take him, you understand, I just don't want to make a scene."
"Of course you don't, Tarzan," I said, laughing at my own personal macho man.  Why men don’t grow out of the need to flex their muscles I'll never know.



I'm meeting a friend for breakfast tomorrow and I will go to the Y in the afternoon.  I haven't gone much since I got home from Yellowstone and I need to get started again.  I feel stiff and creaky.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Sometimes things are best left as memories. Sorry the orange rolls didn't live up to whatever mother made but maybe your taste buds have matured. Still nice to see her name this morning. It's going to be hard for you to come home empty-handed from the November yarn swap. Just leave more than you take. I'm off to a sort of bridge "tournament" today. Wish me luck!