Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Mr. & Mrs. Eagle and Boo Radley's House

I picked up Porter this morning and went for a walk along the Fox River Trail for the first time this year.  It was a glorious sunny day with a nice cool breeze.  The trail wasn't very crowded and I saw a pair of eagles in a tree near the river bank.  At the farthest we walked a house sits tucked onto the edge of the river and it fascinates me.  I hear the neighbors call it Boo Radley's house and I think it's apt.  I would love to live in a place like that, tucked into a hidden place but right in the middle of a city.  And it's on the river, right on the river.  On the way back a lone pelican floated on the river and I saw 3 eagles in a tree--one female and two males.  I took a bunch of pictures and even a video.  Now if I could only figure out how to edit a video and put it on here... Oh well, they were just sitting still so a still picture's just as well.  On my way home I stopped at the bank and withdrew the last forty-three cents from the checking account we opened to pay Mom's final expenses because I paid the last bill early this month, it's cleared, so we're done.  The estate is settled.  Durwood and I ran errands this afternoon, picking up the 1508 lawnmower and putting it into storage since the new renter has her own, picking up fish for supper and a few other things.  Then I went to get my nails done and then went to let Porter out for her afternoon potty.  She was crazy happy to see me, ran around like a crazy dog, and spent time rubbing herself over a stick in the yard.  I don't understand.  I dropped my keys and that jarred the solders loose so the fob wouldn't work.  I stopped at RAM and the mechanic said he'd try to fix it.  I think I'm going to look on eBay for a new one.  Durwood wants to call a lawn service to see about getting some weed & feed applied so he asked me to help him measure the lot and the house and the garden and the driveway so he could say how many square feet of lawn there is.  I'm sure the neighbors thought we were nuts out there with a tape measure measuring all around.  You know, I thought I'd have some downtime today.  I haven't.  I sat down to blog just before 6 PM.  That's very different, usually I'm here early in the morning before work but after working out.  Somedays I think I'm too much a creature of habit.

April 23--Sally Miller, Memorial Painting.

Willows weeping
Black-clad mourners
cluster around
cold marble monuments.
Rows of solemn yews
stand guard and witness
to eternity.
                              --bam
~~~~~
I made a pile of long-sleeved shirts this morning, thinking I'd take them downstairs.  But now I think I don't want to go down into the basement again, so I'll probably hang them back up.  Plus I figure if I swap out my clothes too soon I'll curse us with an extended cool spring.  I control the weather, you know.


--Barbara

No comments: