Monday, April 9, 2012

Easter Lunch with Ham, Bunnies, and Fish Sex


We had a lovely day yesterday.  I must confess that when I was running around like a crazed weasel frosting cakes, unpacking, and sweating like a hog, for 2 cents I'd have stayed home, but I'm so glad we didn't.  We had a perfectly sunny and windy drive out to Shawano after we crossed town the wrong way to let Porter out to potty.  DS & DIL1 had gone early to attend Easter service so the poor dog would have had to hold it a very long time.  Happy to oblige, Porty.  The drive gave me time to settle, to let my nerves unjangle, it was good.  HZ had made a lovely ham, baby carrots, roasted fresh asparagus, au gratin potatoes, and the traditional Z family green Jello molded salad.  It's a good "salad," don't make fun and don't roll your eyes.  My bunny cakes were a big hit although with only 8 at dinner I could have frosted only one layer of carrot cake, thereby having thicker frosting and a cake in reserve.  Now we've got a whole bunny cake to deal with before it goes bad.  What a pity.  After lunch we followed Jefe's car down to the Wolf River at the Shawano Dam to watch the sturgeon spawning.  See?  Fish sex.  I've linked you to the "dam cam" (scroll down past all the ads) so you can see them close up.  On the way home we swung by Walmart so I could get a rotisserie chicken and an onion (I splurged on a bag of red grapes too.  Oooh, crazy) so I could make soup for lunches this week and next.  I put in extra onion, 3/4 of a small head of cabbage, and a can of white cannellini beans, and called it soup.  When I make soup, I feel like I could save the world.  If they'd just keep me in deli chickens and broth, no one on Earth would go to bed hungry.  I'd see to it.  As I was finishing it up, a commercial about kids not knowing where their next meal was coming from came on the TV, I told Durwood that I'd make soup for all of them if they'd let me.  Maybe that's my destiny, I can be an itinerant soup maker, going from town to town, village to village, stirring up soup, leaving full bellies in my wake.  There's no such thing as bad soup, all you need to do is add a little salt and any veggie that holds still long enough to be scrubbed and chopped up.  It's all good.  Aw, man, look at the time!  I gotta get a move on...

April 8--NaPoWriMo, Go Outside.

Prehistoric fish
heed the call
buried deep
in its DNA
writhe and leap
at the dam
rush of water
biological imperative.
~~~~~

Gotta run.  Love you, bye.
--Barbara

1 comment:

carolwobig said...

I love your writing,Barbara.
I'm hooked.