Friday, April 6, 2012

See? I Told You I'd Post

What a lovely day I had yesterday.  I arrived around 1 PM, checked in, took a walk.  While walking I stopped for some river-side coffee and a little scribble.  Ahh.  Sunshine and chilly wind can really pull the words out of a girl.  I walked down to see what Lake Michigan (hereafter known as "the lake") was up to; it was flinging itself onto the breakwater making big splashes.  I love the sound of water, don't you?  Lala has a bad cold so we walked up the hill to Il Ritrovo for wood-fired pizza and soup.  We had a little shop in the next door deli (got some yogurt, god, we've turned boring) and walked back to our little nest.  She went to take a hot bath and sleep off her cold.  I went to spend a little time with my babiest brother, AJ, and his family.  My nephew, CA, might come to see the Hunger Games with us this afternoon; I hope he can.  He's a good kid, 18, and almost human.  I see by her Facebook posts that Lala's up and at 'em already.  I have my hair combed and clean underwear on.  That counts for something, right?  She went to sleep at 8, I turned out the light after 11, so really who's the bigger slug?  Her, right?  She slept 9 hours and I only slept 8.  Big difference.  Big.  My poetry goal this month (April's Poetry Month, ya know) is to distill my words down from the rambling, wordy, prose-type poems I usually write to something a bit more sharp and focused.  I can see that I need to write the raw material at night and then refine it.  What a concept!

April 5--Polynesia, Tonga, Female Figure.

Ivory figure
carved long ago
years of fingers
softened you

close your eyes
your lips
keep your counsel
never judge

pale yellow skin
tiny breasts
feminine
strong
~~~~~~

Okay, that's not bad.  This next one's a river-side poem, very much to the point.

 ~~~~~
Turkey blasts from
the roadside ditch

Passing semi

Splat
~~~~~

See?  Concise, right?  Strong image, right?  I've got it going on now!  I'm off to find Lala and some breakfast and get this day rolling.  Ta ta.
--Barbara

No comments: