Monday, June 8, 2009

Wasn't Summer Grand?

Sure, it was summer. Last Friday. Remember? It was warm and sunny, and now it's autumn again and we didn't harvest any tomatoes. Living here above the Arctic Circle, the growing season is so short it's almost not worth the expense of planting a garden, but hope springs eternal. I am wearing a t-shirt and a sweater (and I wore a windbreaker too), with long jeans, socks and shoes. And I'm chilly. Chilly! Not from the air conditioning set too low, no, from the damp, cold air that has camped over us and won't go away. Tsk.

Poor Jennifer, working so hard with her glue stick. Sounds like you had a fun weekend. And such lovely weather too. I like what you wrote "in the frame."

June 6 & 7--Fra Angelico, The Last Judgement. Nobody likes a bossy angel. See that one in the lower right? The one in the red gown that is pointing off to the side? It's obvious that she's telling someone where to go or how to stand. Do you see that no one is looking at her? No one's paying attention. They're all getting on with their day, moving toward their assigned spot, not needing to be directed. She has made herself the subject of the whispered conversations, I imagine, as I see the two saints behind her walk away. I need to remember her when the impulse to make things right strikes. No one likes a too bossy women, not even saints and angels.

I was just too depressed by the chilly weather to post this over the weekend. I'm freakin' freezing and it's June. June, people, when we're supposed to be eating outside and swatting mosquitoes, not huddled inside in 3 layers of clothing and risking frostbite when we sit on the patio. Honestly.
--Barbara

No comments: