Thursday, June 25, 2009

Still

Not a breath of air is moving outside my window. No leaves are fluttering, all is still. For once I'm glad I'm not at The Clearing; they don't have a/c in the rooms. Muggy. I love my air conditioning. Love it.

June 25--Vincent van Gogh, Starry Night. It was so bright for night. The lights in the houses across the bay shone gold like gilded stepping stones on the water. In the sky their warm light was echoed by the stars twinkling a pale yellow gold in the vast indigo expanse. Vincent stood outside the bayside cafe watching the light dance on the water, outlining the silent sailboats, gilding the drying nets, and his fingers itched to paint. Two colors, he thought, he only needed two colors to paint the whole of the world. He would think of an incantation to keep the indigo blue and yellow gold from joining to sour his vision into green. He would paint this and sell it and maybe the voices would stop.

It's only a guess, but I bet Vincent did hear voices. Why else cut off his ear? No prostitute's worth that.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Ann said...

I read recently that Gauguin may have done the ear-cutting. Here's an article: http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/2009/may/04/vincent-van-gogh-ear. It's really kind of interesting.