Monday, June 15, 2009

Sunny Monday

What a gorgeous day it is! I wish I could close the store and play hooky but someone's bound to notice and then I'd get in trouble. I wish I wasn't such a yellow-bellied, panty-waisted chicken. I want to be at home making Durwood show me how to build a birdhouse, then I'd paint it in bright colors and hang it on the fence for the little birdies to come and live in.

I sent off the synopsis and first 3 chapters of Horizon Friday morning. She said I'd hear from her in 8-12 weeks. Wouldn't it be great if she wanted to read it all? I know even that won't mean she definitely wants to represent it, but it's a baby step toward publication and I'm excited. I did start to read through the Agent listings in Writer's Market and did a little Internet research on a couple I thought might be interested in Horizon. I get frustrated that I'm not sure if its category is mainstream or women's; I suppose that's pretty subjective but my innerHitler wants everything to be exact and precise. Jawohl!

June 13 & 14--Henry Ryland, Bell Ringers. Caitlin stood in the vestibule of the church before Mass removing her gloves and brushing the misty rain off her black wool coat. She glanced to her right where she could see by the bright light flooding through the stained glass window that the sun had come out. Gathered under the window were five men in their shirtsleeves. Each man held a rope that hung down from the belfry and the bronze bells that rang out over the city. Two of the men were relaxed, holding their ropes loosely, but it was obvious that the other three were deeply serious about the business of ringing the bells. Caitlin stifled a giggle when she noticed that one had been pulled off his feet by the swinging of his bell so far above. She stood watching the dance of the bell-ringing men, imagining that the clear notes emanated from the bodies of the men themselves. Somehow watching them made Mass seem all the more personal and uplifting.

I like this painting and I like the idea of a woman standing and letting her imagination run free in such a mundane place. Enjoy your day.
--Barbara

No comments: