Tuesday, February 17, 2009

What Day Is It?

I am so not used to having these days off. I keep thinking it's Friday but I know that's not right. I'll probably spend the weekend thinking it's Monday or Wednesday and not know when to close the store. Not being used to being home all these days in a row is my excuse for forgetting to post my art-prompt writing yesterday. Aren't you lucky? You get two days' worth in one post!

February 16--Wassily Kandinsky, White Point. The jazz age was born and life changed down to its roots. The raw throb of the music shook society to the foundation and young men horrified their parents by dressing in suits with lapels like daggers. The girls bobbed their hair, unlaced their corsets, and hemlines rose to scandalous heights. Straight-laced society gradually relaxed into more sinuous lines and the colors of life grew more vivid. The sensuous lines of Art Deco and the syncopated rhythms of modern life grew out of the womb of jazz and the milk of that purely American music fed the hungers of the times.

February 17--Egyptian, Late Period, Cat with Gold Earring, the sacred representation of the goddess Bastet. Emmaline dragged her way up the broad steps and into the British Museum. It was her favorite place that never moved in London. Her most favorite place in London was any seat on the Tube but she thought that really wasn't so much a place as it was a state of mind. She had learned to knit last year in preparation for this visit so that she could spend a day sitting in a corner and knitting while she people-watched and rode around and around under the city. But enough about knitting. Emmaline shoved her needles and yarn into a pocket and prepared to revisit one of her favorite exhibits. She had seen the Elgin Marbles on her last visit and she still hadn't forgiven Lord Elgin for stealing them from the Greeks. She didn't feel up to looking at the disembodied heads or the decapitated bodies today. Today was an Egyptian day. Today she would immerse herself in the incredible capacity of the ancient Egyptians to embody their gods and goddesses in animal form. There was nothing like a moth-eaten cat mummy from the 5th Dynasty to send her mind spinning tales of sacred cats and beautiful queens. A perfect way to spend a drizzly London Tuesday.

There. That wasn't so bad. In fact, I like both of them but it's Emmaline that keeps drawing me in. I think I'll go dig up my journal and souvenirs from my London trip and wallow a bit. I promise to work on my homework tomorrow. Cross my heart.
--Barbara

No comments: