Monday, February 2, 2009

Groundhog Day

Wasn't the weekend nice? Sunny and warmish, almost like it'll get really, seriously warm one of these days. I heard two conflicting groundhog predictions this morning. The "official" one in Pennsylvania saw his shadow and said 6 more weeks of winter. The Wisconsin one (I think I was a guy in a groundhog suit) didn't see his shadow and said winter would be a little shorter. I prefer to think the WI one is right.

February 2--Paul Gauguin, Women of Tahiti, on the Beach. Neither of these girls looks happy. If I were sitting on a beach in Tahiti I'd be happy. I'd be grinning my fool head off, and I wouldn't be wearing a long-sleeved dress either. The girls (they're not women, Paul, not by a long shot) have their shoulders hunched and their faces downcast. They do not want to be there. Maybe old Paul Gauguin is being inappropriate behind his easel, making lewd suggestions, or even waving his willy at them. I am surprised that he has painted the sky and the ocean black. Is a storm coming? Maybe that's why the girls look so unhappy. I'd still like to be there to ask.

Eh. A little better. Gotta go to work. Bye.
--Barbara

No comments: