Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Red Slave

I paged through my snippets and found the few pictures I had skipped so I had something to look at to write about last night. Yippee!

You have to dive Red Slave at dawn if you don't have a boat. And even if you do have a boat, dawn is still the best time because that's when currents run slowest. Red Slave is a collection of huts at the extreme southern end of the island and currents run strong, so strong that what anywhere else is a gray vase-shaped sponge grows in a flat fan-shape offshore of the Red Slave huts. There's a lot of detritus around there, mute evidence of just how challenging it is to dive there. Broken fins lay where they were flung onshore by desperate divers anxious to lighten their burden as they stagger and struggle through the building waves to the safety of shore. If I wanted to dispose of something, this is where I'd do it.

Not my best, but way better than nothing.
--Barbara

No comments: