Sunday, December 30, 2007

To Normality

While driving back from Luna Cafe yesterday, I heard the following quote on the radio. It is a kind of statement of faith about the nature and purpose of art. The artist is Mary Frank, someone I'd never heard of before. I remember what you wrote about conducting one's life with passion, and I thought you would appreciate this.

"To comfort the dead, to know the migration seasons of birds and fish, to know the human migrations of the past and right now. To be able to use experiences and transform them...to make the eyes of children widen, to give courage, and never be afraid of tenderness or the absurd and to gather joy."

Not just once, but twice I read the passage about the English toffee and the rum balls. What a masochist I am. Thank you very much for sharing, Barbara. The chocolate and the party-mix was a rare treat.

Bob

No comments: