Friday, December 28, 2007

Ahhhhhh, Writing

Oh man, am I glad you were running late last night, Bob. That 20 minutes with my pencil and notebook got my creative juices going a bit and I managed a little scribble before bed. Whew. And thanks for your lovely comments about Tropical Obsession; I promise to keep plugging away at it until I know what it is.

From the sea, the land looked almost flat. No gentle hills or rises marred the symmetry of the island. It looked like a stack of very thin pancakes. The dark gray, greenish black of the ironshore rocks were the bottom layer, battered and scored by the relentless waves. Then came the pale bleached coral rubble, tossed with abandon into drifts imitating snow. On top of the island pancake were the stunted trees and the tall candle cactus that played host to the fruit bats and the little lorikeets that flew in green, squawking pairs ahead of any cars driving down the lonely straight blacktop road that traversed that end of the island. Not the most inviting island view but a nice change from the unrelenting blue of the sea.

Have a nice weekend off.
--Barbara




No comments: