Sunday, December 18, 2016

Zee. Row.

That's the current temperature.  Zero.  Zilch.  It was a beautiful sunny day and nearly all churches and activities were closed today because it was sooooo cold.  I went out and blew away the snow from late yesterday and the new plow drift across the driveway and then I went to the store for some vital Christmas-type items.  According to the thermometer in my car it was a brisk -2 when I got in and, hey, I wasn't the only idiot out in the bitter, bitter cold.  Not by a long shot.  It's pretty out there, really pretty, but dangerous.  At least it isn't too windy.

We got the tree up and decorated last night.  When I plugged it in none of the lights on the top half lit up.  I was just about ready to scream out some very non-Christmas language when I remembered that I bought one of those "as seen on TV" light fixer guns.  It really really works.  You just take out a bulb, plug the empty socket into the spot for it, pull the trigger three times and, presto, the lights light.  If they don't, then you hold down a different button and run it along the string and it'll beep until it comes to the problem, whereupon you change the bulb and all is right with the world.  Well worth the eight bucks I left at Home Depot last Christmas.


After the tree was done I got out the 3 Kings that Mom painted when she was into ceramics in the last half of the previous century.  Yes, they're garish and kitschy but I have to confess, I love them.  They sit up there on the old computer desk because that's the only place there's room for them and I never light the candles because where am I going to find three avocado green candles in 2016.  Mom said they were the perfect color and I believe her.

The only food prep that got done today (so far) was Durwood using the KitchenAid attachment to grate three pounds of cheese for various recipes on next weekend's menu.  I cleared piles off my desk and bookcase, and emptied some shelves in the second bedroom so we can transfer Durwood's piles of food magazines and cookbooks from the kitchen table so there's room for everyone to sit down to eat.

December 18--Toddler with Big Yellow Ball. Mattie's pudgy feet pattered on the oak floors as he chased the big yellow ball across the room.  The ball was as big as he was and held endless fascination for him.  He sought it out wherever it had spent the night--in the kitchen corner by the cereal cupboard, wedged between the couch and the computer desk, or in his room where it belonged.  It was rarely there.
 
That's when inspiration fled so I turned out the light and went to sleep.  I'm beginning to feel like DD and family and Christmas will be here in about 14 hours.  I'm getting a little wigged out.  I should probably up my meds or mix myself a drink.  Hm, hot buttered rum sounds about right.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Brrrr. You are brave to venture out in all that weather but I guess you're used to it. Your tree looks beautiful. And the three kings???? I'll take your mother's word for it -- they're perfect.