Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Happy Birthday to Me!

I am confident that I'll have that old Beatles song running through my head all day--"will you still need me, will you still feed me, when I'm 64?No big birthday plans, just supper at a nice restaurant with DD and SIL1.  I'm sure I'll knit some, maybe Durwood and I will cruise through Meijer since they're building one a couple miles from our house, kind of get a preview.  That's it.

We braved downtown Lexington's traffic and picked up a driving tour map since they don't have those handy CDs anymore.  Drat.  Naturally the ones we left with the kids here got shuffled off somewhere in the move.  They'll turn up one of these days, I'm sure, but for now we'll have to make do with a paper map.  How retro!  It was an unpleasant surprise to discover that there was roadwork smack dab in front of the Visitor Center but I went around a few blocks (a few times) to find my way back to the place, parked the van in a loading zone (what? I turned on the flashers and, besides, who'd ticket a van with disabled plates and the disabled guy in it?), dashed in to get the map from Miss Frances whom I'd spoken with on the phone, and dashed back out before the long arm of the law could scoop Durwood up.

Hmm, Miss Frances... I remember when I was little and TV was new I watched Miss Frances and Ding Dong School, and look what I found on YouTube.  It's Miss Frances making a peanut butter, banana, and lettuce sandwich on white bread.  Um, no, thank you, but I love watching the innocent, homey little clip from the show.  Do you think Miss Frances could get a job on TV today, boys and girls?  Not on your nelly.


I took Durwood to Trader Joe's yesterday on our way home from the Visitor Center.  He had a blast scooting up and down every aisle.  We brought a few things back with us, including a shopping bag.  Cool, huh?  It would have been impolite not to buy anything, right?










I managed to knit a couple rounds on the Virgo Hat yesterday.  See the markers?  That means I started the pattern repeats.  Maybe I'll get more done today.

Didn't write last night.  I spent the evening crafting with DD and SIL1 figuring out centerpieces for a friend's wedding reception.  It was fun.  I was bushed when I got back to the room, turned out the light and zonked off.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

That birthday picture of you certainly rivals the one of your mom! Soooo cute!!! And I love the shopping bags from Trader Joe's. Just those are worth a visit. Looks like you got some yummy treats too!