Tuesday, September 8, 2015

How Humid Is It?

It's so humid that there's condensation on the outside of the patio doors--and it's double-paned.  According to the "weather station" sensor that sits outside our kitchen window and transmits to the receiver hanging on the wall, the humidity is 94%.  Yikes.  If the storm front that's rolling our way drags the heat and humidity with it when it leaves, I'm all for it.  It seems to be getting darker by the minute and I just heard the first rumbling of thunder.  Better make sure my umbrella's in the front seat of the car.


Yesterday was a cooking day.  First I went to the grocery, using my new app, Ourgroceries, that DD showed me for my list.  No paper for this granny!

Then I came home and got
cooking.  First I whipped up a batch of my old stand-by WW Hummus first pulsing 12 green olives before adding the chickpeas, sesame seeds, garlic, and lemon juice to the food processor.  Of course I had to toast a sandwich thin to have some for lunch along with a handful of fresh cherry tomatoes from the garden.  Yum.  Then I made a cauldron of Greens & Chicken Soup.  A couple years ago I found a recipe for Perfect Green Soup in a Reader's Digest that sounded so good I had to make it, but it didn't have any protein in it and I got pretty hungry between lunch and supper.  So I studied the recipe and decided that I could mesh my favorite Fast Chicken Soup recipe with the  Green Soup recipe.  I keep the chicken out of the pot until all of the greens (1# greens + 1# spinach) are cooked in with the onions, carrots, and tiny bit of rice, whirred with the stick blender until all smooth-ish, then I toss in the chunks of chicken and finish it off with a pinch of cayenne and a tablespoon of lemon juice.  It isn't very photogenic but it sure is tasty, and for $16.50 for ingredients I get six weeks of little, 3-ladle portions to take for work lunches.  It freezes well, too.  As an added bonus, Durwood doesn't like it so I get it all tomyself, kind of like how he gets to eat all the tomato soup.


Durwood and I went to Tony Roma's to cash in my soon-to-expire free birthday coupon, then I stayed up way too late doing the laundry that I meant to do during and around the soup making but didn't.  But I was also knitting so I finished Sudoku Maize #8 and began #9.  So what if I'm a bit dozy today, I can take a little lay down on the couch later.

Didn't write last night, I was asleep almost before my head hit the pillow.  Stay dry today!  I won't, it's raining like crazy right now.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

You're right -- the soup does not look enticing but I'll take your word for it. No way would it make it to the Rehder table!! Green stuff you know!!! Crazy weather. But it's that time of year.