Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Oh, Man, Did It Rain

GB had a record setting 2.5" of rain yesterday and I'm pleased (but a tad damp) to say that I was out during the hardest of it.  There were a couple of time-sensitive errands needing doing and, rain or not, I had to get them done.  I was smart enough to wear my Crocs so my shoes and socks didn't get soaked and disgusting, only my feet.  But this morning the clouds were way on the eastern horizon and blue sky stretched as far to the west as I could see.  A sunny day.  Hooray!

While I was out in the downpour I dashed into Walmart for a pineapple.  I need to have a bowl of fruit with my lunch and pineapple needs to be the star.  I had a few blueberries in the freezer and a couple of peaches that had to be eaten so there you have it, fruit salad for lunches--and topping yogurt or a bowl of cereal or cottage cheese if you're Durwood.

One thing that was amazing was how busy the birds were while it was still raining.  They were all sheltering under the eaves during the hardest rain.  In fact there was a whole line-up of sparrows perched on top of the brick front of the house when I pulled up after my errands, but once the rain had slacked off to a drizzle they were mobbing the feeders.  I even managed to catch a hummingbird enjoying a snack and a shower at the same time.

September 9--Len Rothman, Veronica Donnelly, #PC950712-43.  Hank sat at the kitchen table with a row of amber pill bottles lined up in front of him.  He had a clean paper towel folded in half on the table and he went down the line pouring out one pill from each bottle.  He knew them by color, not name.  Most of them were generics, he for sure didn't recognize those names.  He knew that two were for his prostate, one was a "happy" pill, there was an allergy pill, a few vitamins and supplements, a pill to help him sleep, and one, or maybe two, pills for pain.  It was a lot.  It was hard to keep track of and his daughter thought he had too many docs prescribing too many pills.  What did she know?  Maybe a guy his age didn't care if his cocktail of meds added up to enough to kill him one day.  He was too damn old and too damn ornery to make new friends.  He might as well feel good while he was checking out.

Well, that's cheerful.  Oh well, the sun's shining today and the weather guessers are promising cooler temps with a lot less humidity for the rest of the week, with a few more thunderstorms tomorrow evening.  I'll be glad when "the stickies" move off.  It's not the heat (yes, it is) but the humidity (I'll second that, in spades).  Off to keep the world safe from SCUBA diving.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

I'm amazed that you manage to catch a picture of a hummingbird! All that rain sounds frightening but sometimes its a good thing. Especially if it cools off the temps.