Monday, February 2, 2009

My Sistah from Anothah Mistah!

Barbara- I looked at Women of Tahiti today and was thinking the exact same thing you blogged about. Those are NOT women....they look like little girls who have been caught lying to their parents or perhaps worse! You may be onto something, perhaps Gauguin was being a bit inappropriate....shudder!

Find Your Way in a City

"Get yourself a subway map and never let it go." Those were the words told to me by a woman who had moved recently to New York. "It's what everyone does; even people who have lived there for fifteen years."

I honestly thought that was the dumbest thing I had ever heard about such a great city. Get a map of the subway system? Are you serious? Sure, perhaps if you are determined to get from Point A to Point B in exactly so many minutes; but what a waste of a tree! New York is not a city to conquer; it is a city to be explored, slowly and sensuously, like a man exploring the body of his lover of fifteen years.

I want to get lost in New York. I want to navigate my way through the busy streets and avenues with a destination in mind, but with luck, will find a golden nugget that I never thought I would come upon, even in my wildest dreams. "Rule of thumb," a former New York police officer turned limo driver once told me, "when you see fewer people, turn around. There is a reason nobody is around." Smart man; after all, he would know. I want to always be romanced and enchanted by New York; even if it remains my love after fifteen years.

No comments: