Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Confession

Okay, I confess, I didn't write this yesterday. I was busy working on my submission for tomorrow and figuring out which workshops to take at the Writer's Institute next month in Madison. I wrote this just now. I'll write today's tonight after I get home from work. Okay?

February 24--Kazimir Severinovich Malevich, Woman Cutting. Even in this northern place the late summer sun can be hot, can beat down on your head hot enough that you can almost feel your brain sizzle. The harvesting must be done. Someone has to walk down the rows, stooping and slashing, then lay the sheaf aside for the old man who drives the wagon to bundle it up and carry it away. By the end of the day your back and shoulders are so sore and stiff that you can barely straighten and unclench your grip from the wooden handle of the blade. If only someone has made supper, you can survive another day.

--Barbara

No comments: