Saturday, November 1, 2008

On Your Mark, Get Set, GO!

It took a heap of procrastinating to work my way down the hall to my desk today, but I made it. Then I had constipation of the words and ideas, so I took a break and filled the bird feeders, made some copies, sliced an apple. I read and reread the card for the day which told us that instead of worrying where to start to just start. So I did. I had trouble visualizing the characters but then I realized that Lucia and Burke are in this story so things went quickly all of a sudden. I felt comfortable with them, didn't have to get acquainted with new people on the first day. I still have to figure out what my 1000-word treat will be this time. A fruit popsicle worked great when we were writing in August but it might be a bit chilly for that in November. Don suggested a hot buttered rum but if I had one I'd never get any further than 1000 words every day. (I'm a terribly bad drinker.)

Line of the day:
She was a hard one to figure out Ms. Lucia Vandersteeg. Not at all like the other young American women he had met at Karel’s Beach Bar over the years. Lucia had the same confident look of entitlement that all Americans wear but she also had the cool Nordic look of her Dutch ancestors and a certain deep down passion that he longed to ignite but then he thought that igniting that woman’s passions would be dangerous and nearly fatal. He looked out the wide windows that looked out to the western horizon and spied Lucia’s long lean form slicing through the waves. With the sun in his eyes she looked nude and he spent an entertaining few minutes imagining being out in the water with her but then she turned back toward shore and he was able to see the straps of her suit across her shoulders. “Too bad,” he said, chuckling at his response to the thought of Lucia naked

Daily word count: 1,823
Running total: 1,823

--Barbara

P.S. Hey, Jennifer, make sure you're eliminating those contractions and hyphens. Make every word count!

No comments: