Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Not a Word

Bob, I'm taking my travel diary to work today in hopes that I wrote more than a passing entry about the Bonairean elections. After doing errands yesterday I spent the rest of the day planting a half dozen more lilies (they were 75% off) and finishing mulching the garden. But at least I was thinking about writing! Thanks for the encouragement.

July 29--Write about a scent--In the early morning when I go out for the newspaper the pink and white Stargazer lilies are barely open. They are just stretching their petals wider in the morning sun. I lean over to smell them and I'm disappointed. Late last summer I passed a cluster of bedraggled plants on one of the last days Walmart's plant department was open. The warm sweet smell of the single lily flower that was still blooming stopped me dead. Now I don't really like the color pink, I'm more of a red girl, but I could not resist the sensual powdery fragrance of the Stargazer lilies. There were three plants on the tray. I bought all three and planted them across the front of my house. This morning the first of the blossoms opened. Their scent was barely there. I was disappointed, but as the day heated up, every time I walked past, the fragrance grew stronger and sweeter. By late afternoon it was intoxicating. So intoxicating that I bought three more to plant along the lot line. I foresee a long love affair with lilies, the Stargazers in particular.

See you tomorrow.
--Barbara

No comments: