Tuesday, July 1, 2008

The Last Blueberries in Green Bay

I'm jealous that you were inspired, Bob. I'd like to have interesting, motivating words come when I sit down to write. Maybe I need to chain myself to my desk?

I was a very good writer-girl this morning and submitted Moon to the Narrative Magazine First Person Contest, which cost a monumental $20 but entitles me to entree into another layer of Narrative for a year or something. Feh. Not that interested, I just want them to award my story one of the top 3 prizes, publish my story to universal acclaim, and send me a nice fat check.
I'm shallow, so sue me.

I also called around and latched onto the last 2 blueberry bushes available in the greater Green Bay area and planted them in my garden. Soon (well, maybe next year) I'll have bowls of succulent blueberries grown in my very own backyard. Provided, of course, I can keep the pesky rabbits and birdies from stealing my fruit. I will have a few this year; there are green ones on the bushes now. The yardman at GB Nursery was rather sad that I bought the bushes because he gets to eat the berries if no one buys the plants. Too bad, nursery guy, I'm getting the blueberries this year. And I bought a couple bags of cocoa bean shell mulch to fill in some thin spots in the beds, now the house smells like chocolate. Mmm, seems like it might be time for a dish of chocolate ice cream. Later.

--Barbara

No comments: