Thursday, September 10, 2026

There Were Bees!

I went up to the retaining wall this morning to weed around the horse head squirrel feeder to see if I couldn't lure some squirrels there. While I was there, I looked at the bronze sedum and there were bees! Hooray! Lots of them but I only caught this one in the act. 

 


And right where I stood admiring the bees, I saw a spiderweb and there was a big brown spider in another part of the web. Pretty cool. I wasn't sure I captured its picture because I was using my phone and had to zoom in and couldn't see well but I got it. Hint: the spider's in the shade to the left of the white web right under the flower head.

 

When I cleared out some of the weeds around the horse head squirrel feeder, I noticed lots of mushrooms. I thought they only grew on rotting wood and I don't remember wood being there but whatever. It was fun to see them and two colors of them.

 


I drew a gratitude journal page for yesterday and ended up putting the book cover and publishing the book on the same page. I was so happy to get those cover files and be able to publish the book that I wouldn't have been surprised to have put it on three or four times. Hooray!

 

Speaking of mushrooms, that was the drawing prompt for today. I enjoyed drawing them and it wasn't until I looked at the picture I took of the page that I realized that they're all leaning to the right. Must have been windy when I was drawing.

 

I don't know how I can get a clearer picture at the distance I am away from the horse head squirrel feeder but I saw one investigating this afternoon. Maybe when the Hummingbirds are gone, I'll move that feeder down closer to the house so I can get a better picture. Today I spread a little peanut butter in the opening of the feeder to try to lure the little tree rats to it. It might work. I filled the birdseed, suet nuggets, and cob corn feeders today too, but didn't take pictures.

 

Just on the off chance that it'd work, I opened last night's blog post and, lo and behold, Blogger let me put on the pictures. So if you want to see last night's pictures, scroll back and check them out. 

I cast on a sock tonight but only managed to knit two rounds so what I did is barely visible. I didn't take a picture of it. I'll do that tomorrow night after Friday Night Knitting. Three hours of knitting should give me something to show for it.

Writing went pretty well today. I'm following the suggestions from the ProWritingAid Manuscript Analysis and feel good about it. I've taken out big chunks of writing that don't really advance the story and suspect there's more of that to come. I also sent the police after another suspect. And I took out the three small scenes from the murderer's point of view, letting the sleuth make some deductions to sneak up on the info instead of overplaying my hand and giving away too much to the reader. I'm learning a lot from doing it this way. Much more than I'm learning from the how-to book. This somehow feels more like my own idea and my own writing even though the analysis is basically coaching me.

--Barbara 

1 comment:

Aunt Barb said...

"All things come to those who wait " -- that includes bees, your book covers and resolution of the no pictures problem yesterday. Yay for 🐝.