Monday, December 28, 2020

Snow

Last night's snow was still around when I got up this morning.  And the snow plow had been by in the night to pile a small drift across the bottom of the driveway.  That meant I needed to go out and get rid of it or at least move it.  *sigh*  I dithered around until 11 o'clock but the sunshine didn't melt this snow away.  There was no avoiding it so out I went.  I need new gloves.  I thought my fingers would freeze off in the short time that I was out running the snowblower.  What I need is mittens.  I came in to thaw out once I had the majority of the snow gone and only the shovel work left to do and found a pair of knitted wool mittens that I wore after lunch when I went out to finish the job.  That was better. I don't think I can wear knitted mittens to run the snowblower but I'll give it a try.  I liked the snow piled up on some of the retaining wall blocks.  It didn't survive the sunshine this afternoon.



In the afternoon I portioned out a bunch of snacks--dark M&Ms, tiny pretzel twists, and animal crackers.  I know it seems like a lot of work but this way I have portion control so I don't eat handfuls of them at a time.


I started another toe cap cast sock this afternoon.  I wasn't in much of a knitting mood so I didn't get very far.


 


We have an almost full moon tonight.  It's called the Cold Moon and the name is apt because it's supposed to get down to 6 degrees overnight.  Brr.

 

 

28 December--Barbara Malcolm, The Seaview.

             For the rest of the day I kept watching Iggy and when I wasn't watching him I felt his eyes on me.  When the rest of the crew quit for the day, putting their tools and my sewing things into the container, I declined their invitation to go for drinks at Johnno's.  "No thanks, guys," I said, "I think I'll go for a swim instead." 

            They walked down the beach toward the bar.  I heard them laughing and talking all the way.  I heard the scuff of a shoe on the floor behind me and turned to see Iggy standing in the kitchen doorway.  "Not thirsty tonight?" he asked. 

            I shook my head.  "No. Sometimes their youthful exuberance tires me out.  I need a quiet night."             

He nodded.  "Quiet is good too.  How about I get us a couple drinks to go and we sit here to watch the sea?" 

            I took a deep breath.  "Good idea." 

            While he was gone I poured water into that handy white metal basin and rinsed off my face and hands.  It felt good to sluice off the dust and sweat of the day.  Then I swept the porch so that we had a clear place to put our feet.  That porch seemed to be a catch-all every day for things that were too good to throw in the dumpster but didn't have a place to go.  I was as guilty as the rest picking up something in my way and walking it ten feet out onto the porch and shoving whatever it was into the corner.  I was amazed that nothing had been stolen since we rarely remembered to clear the porch before locking up for the night. 

            Iggy walked back up the beach carrying a couple bottles, a beer for him and a wine cooler for me.  "Oh, thanks, I'm a sucker for this fruity wine.  We used to call it Kool-aid wine because we drank it in the summer."

             He grinned.  “I drank gallons of Kool-aid when I was a kid and so did my nieces and nephews. Terrible stuff," he shook his head, "terrible stuff."

             "I agree," I said, laughing at the sour pucker on his face.  "I used to cut back on the sugar when I made it for Will and Marie.  I don't know if they ever suspected.  I suppose they did, I'm sure other moms mixed it with the full measure of sugar." 

            He sipped his beer.  "My sister-in-law puts in double the sugar for her grandchildren."

            I stared at him. "You have got to be kidding.  Does it even taste good?" I felt like I needed to spit out my wine cooler but I managed to keep drinking it. 

            We sat watching the sun inch its way toward the horizon.  Neither of us said anything, just stared at the fiery ball and the small waves that slid over the sand and then drew back. 

            Iggy finished his beer.  "So, do you want to go swimming?" 

            I looked at him.  "Do you have a suit?"

            A small smile lifted his lips that made me want to lean over and kiss them.

            "I can get one from Johnno's. Do you want to swim?" 

            I nodded and stood up.  "I'll go change and meet you back here in ten minutes." 

            We worked together to get all of the Seaview's windows and doors shut before going our separate ways to change.

            I hurried down the road to my room at Sydans and quickly changed into my favorite swimsuit that looked like a cross between a Warhol painting and a Lichtenstein lithograph. No plain black suits for me.  Years ago we'd had a swimming pool and I made two suits for each family member so it had been years since I'd bought a swimsuit. 

            I had to smile when I caught sight of Iggy waiting for me at the foot of the front porch stairs.  His suit looked like mine, wild colors and riotous print.  "Is that Johnno's suit?" I asked. 

            He shook his head.  "No, his suit is too big.  This one is Silas', he is more my size," he tugged at the crazy printed shorts, "but I am not sure that I like them.  They are too wild for me."

            I stepped back and looked him up and down.  "I confess that I was hoping you would come out in a Speedo." 

            The shocked look on his face was priceless.  "No, thank you.  I will not be displaying my, uh, myself to all around me in one of those things.  They are smaller than my under things."

            I had to giggle at the outraged look on his face but I agreed that the board shorts were loud but modest.  We draped our towels over the porch railing and walked into the sea. 


Writing went a little easier today.  I'm not going to say anything else about it so I don't jinx it if this means my writing brain is waking up.

When I weighed myself this morning I had surpassed my first weight loss goal.  I am proud to say that I didn't overeat in celebration, which is my usual way.  Maybe I'm getting smart in my old age... nah.

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Nice moon shot -- could be a Christmas card. I commend you in your portion control. No wonder you've met your weight loss goal. We eat those tiny little ice cream cups in the evening but I confess to adding Redi-Whip to mine and crushed walnuts. Paul can resist but not me!!