Tuesday, December 22, 2020

Making A List

I'll probably check it at least twice but it isn't a Santa list, it's a grocery list for the next Investment Cooking bout.  All but one of the recipes are repeats but I still need a huge shopping trip for supplies. And since I'm having groceries delivered I'll have my fingers crossed that they have what I need.  I'm down to meals for this week and next week which means I have to cook next week to keep up.



I took a walk this morning after trying to talk myself out of and then into walking.  It was a little windy and I hate cold wind in my face when I walk but I managed to turtle down in my scarf and coat collar to keep my face from freezing.  A neighbor drove by as I was along the way so we had a little chat--socially distanced, of course.


 

This week I'm wearing last Christmas' pjs--Fa-la-la Llama pajamas.  They're very comfy and they make me smile.  Thanks again, DD!



Sunset tinted the sky orange today.  Someday I'll live in a place where there aren't wires in between me and the sky but it'll be a while, I think, so until then it's wires and the neighbor's houses in the foreground.  Ah well, it's still a beautiful sky in amazing colors.

 

22 December--Barbara Malcolm, The Seaview. 

             I sat back down.  My hands shook so much that I couldn't cut straight, so I began to put things away for the day.

            Iggy came through the lobby just then and stopped when he saw my face.  "Are you okay?  What is wrong?"

            I didn't really want to tell him that his best boyhood friend had just propositioned me.  I shook my head.  "It's the heat.  I've been hunched over this machine all day.  I think I'll grab my dive gear and go out with Ian or Thomas this afternoon.  Will you see how much longer Calvin expects the job to take, please?  I would really like to start painting soon."

            He stepped closer and reached as if to smooth his hand over my cheek but stopped before he touched me.  "Are you sure you are all right?  You look pale."

            I chuckled.  "I am pale."  I felt a blush rise in my cheeks. "Let me go dive and cool off.  I'll be fine." 

            "I will go hurry Calvin up so he will be done early next week.  How is that?"

            "Perfect."  I finished putting all my sewing things back into their Rubbermaid tote, closed up my sewing machine, and made two trips with it out to the container.  I insisted on storing everything in there even though Silas was still camping in the Seaview.  I insisted on paying him a bit extra for that service too.  It made me feel so much more secure.

            "It is in my own selfish interests, Mrs. Rose," he said.  "I do not want to do any more work twice.  Besides if I am staying here, I can sleep later and still get to work on time."  He laughed with pleasure at his own little joke.

            "You're right, Silas, it's the perfect solution for someone who hits the snooze button too often."  I waved and started out the back.  "I'm going diving.  See you tomorrow."  I walked over to Tamarind Watersports next door to make sure they had enough room for me on their dive boat and, when they did, to tell them that I would be back in half an hour.


No tosses today.  The back of the car is full.

Writing was easy.  The prompt was to write about a phone call so I wrote a page of dialogue.  That's easy for me.  Other things are not so easy but dialogue I can do.

DS texted that his COVID test came back negative, so that's one more step closer to hugs for Christmas.

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

You are so organized. That grocery shopping list looks formidable. But that's the way to do it so you aren't scrambling around at the last minute because you don't have a teaspoon of some important ingredient. Love those Christmas jammies. You should wear them all day. Well, not out for your walk but otherwise! Beautiful sunset -- houses, wires and all.