Monday, December 14, 2020

Sunny Day

I love it when I wake up and it's sunny.  It stayed sunny most of the day too.  It wasn't warm, not by any means, but the sunshine was too irresistible so I took a walk anyway.  The wind was chilly and brisk so I was very glad that I wore a scarf around my neck.  It took a while to warm up when I got inside but I'm glad I went for a little walk.  Walks will stop when the snow comes to stay.  We don't have sidewalks on Mennen Court.  I'm not walking on snowy streets, I'll get out my snowshoes and tromp around on the lawn.  Or go up to the park.


The squirrel on the low end of the pecking order was alone at the birdbath and feeders this morning so he had some uninterrupted time at the suet but first he had a long drink.  Then he leaped to the ground to forage for fallen goodies before leaping up onto the suet feeder for a long hang and nibble.



The pair of House Finches came today too.  It was windy enough that I had to wait for the feeder to twist the right way so that the birds weren't hidden behind the corner posts.


I got the ribbing part of the Warm Espresso Beanie finished this evening so tomorrow I can
start on the crown.  I have to dawdle so that I have hat left to knit on for Thursday's Bay Lakes Knitting Guild meeting.  The program is about charity knitting so we're supposed to bring a charity project to work on.  I'm planning on having the hat to knit on.  Maybe I'll cast on a quick preemie hat for the next couple days...

14 December--Barbara Malcolm, The Seaview. 

           "My wife asked me to invite you to have supper with us on Saturday night, tomorrow.  I know it is short notice but if you are not already committed we would enjoy entertaining you.  You could even bring Ignatius here if you want."  I looked at Iggy to see what he thought of the idea.

            He nodded and said, "You will like Drusilla, and she is an excellent cook.  She will also tell you stories of the old days on the island.  I know you are interested in that.  She grew up in that big white house across from Johnno's on the salt pond.  Her daddy was governor, you remember I told you, so much happened in her house."

            I smiled at Calvin and said, "I would be honored to have supper at your house.  What time should I be there?  Do I need to dress up?"

            Calvin shook his head.  "No need to dress up; just be comfortable, we will be cooking out on the grill and eating outside.  Drusilla wants to meet you; she is a close friend of Rebecca O'Neill.  She also worries about you spending so much time with the likes of Iggy and his disreputable family."

            Iggy snorted and punched his friend on the shoulder.  "Disreputable, eh?  Whose daddy spent time in the pokey for running rum?"  He turned to me.  "Do not believe a word this man says about anything but pipes."

            I looked at the two of them.  "I think I can make my own judgment here, and I won't believe anything either of you says."

            The two old friends looked at each other and grinned.


Today's toss was a Trivial Pursuit game and a Ouija board, the new boring one, not the old haunted one.  I'm keeping that one.  I have a zillion versions of Trivial Pursuit and nobody to play with so I'm weeding out the collection.  Someone will like them, I hope.

As promised I wrote two prompts today.  I was not terribly inspired by either one but I eked out a page for each so I'm satisfied.  Oh, and the property tax bill came so I paid and mailed it.  Having savings is a good thing.

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

How true about having savings. So many big bills come at the end of the year. We have HOA to pay along with property tax and yearly dues for the Club. But I'm not complaining. We love life here in The Forest and having savings helps! Glad the low on the totem pole squirrel got to have a turn at the feeder.