Tuesday, December 8, 2020

Stupid Computer

I have just sat here for forty-five minutes waiting for this stupid laptop to grind itself open.  I don't know if Windows had an update or if the laptop had a brain fart but I was terrified that I'd have to hurry and buy a new computer tomorrow afternoon because I'm hosting a Zoom social knit tomorrow evening.  Happily it got itself organized, finally, enough so that I can blog.  Whew.  Oh wait, I have an iPad that I could use to Zoom on so I'm good.

This morning I picked up a grocery order at Meijer.  I thought they would text me so I waited and waited for half an hour before checking on the app about how I'd be contacted.  Email or text, it said, so I checked my email and I had gotten an email an hour earlier saying that my order was ready for pickup.  And I had ice cream in there!  Did that mean my order was sitting in some holding area for an hour?  Wherever it was must have been cold because the ice cream wasn't melted.


In my grocery order was a box of each kind of Chex cereal, the original ones, a box of Cheerios, a bag of pretzel sticks, and two cans of nuts (no peanuts) so this afternoon I made Party Mix.  Oh my, the house smelled heavenly with the spicy scent of Worcestershire sauce and garlic powder.  I might have eaten some.  Okay, a bunch, but I scooped it into some containers, gave one to my renters, and hid it away.  Our of sight, out of mind.  That's the plan anyway.  There's still some in a container in the kitchen that's calling my name but I gave myself permission to have some tonight and then I'll try to be more sparing in my munching.  Try, that's the operative word.  I'll take some to DS and family later this week.  That'll help.



This afternoon I started Cast Sock 8.  I didn't realize how much like the couch upholstery that the yarn is.  It's actually a heather pink yarn but it looks tweedy in the photo.

 

 

08 December--Barbara Malcolm, The Seaview. 

Chapter 21

            I inhaled his kiss, his breath, and my hands rose to find his head and hold it, to hold that kiss for as long as I could.  He eased away, planting a dozen tiny kisses on my face and back on my lips.

            "You are not angry?" he asked.

            I could barely think because his lips brushed mine as he spoke, setting off explosions of electricity that made answering difficult.  "Angry?  For what?"  My hands were still up in his soft hair feeling the ropy strength of his perfectly shaped head.  "I was just trying to decide how I could kiss you without offending you myself.  I'm very glad that you took the initiative."  I pulled his lips back to mine and felt him tremble as our lips met again.

            "Anybody home?"  A voice, Silas's voice, called from the back garden.  We sprang apart as if we were doing something wrong.  We heard footsteps cross the kitchen and he came into the room, beer in hand.  "What have you two been doing?  We started without you."  He held up his green bottle as proof.

            Iggy looked at me; I smiled and touched his arm.  "Oh, I was having some trouble latching that gallery door in the end room upstairs and Iggy helped me.  We were just on our way."  I stepped off on shaky legs, not at all sure my knees would cooperate, but I made it across the kitchen to the back door.  "Are you two coming?"  I turned to face them.  "Is there no gentleman left in Sandy Ground?  A girl could get waylaid walking all the way to Johnno's in the dark."

            Both of them had caught up to me by the time I went out the back door.  Iggy and I left Silas to juggle his beer and lock the back door.  He still spent nights there.  He didn't want there to be another break-in either.  We walked down the dark road toward the colored lights and music of Johnno's.  Iggy and I didn't hold hands or touch in any way as we walked but I felt as if I were plugged into an electric circuit.

            "What are you thinking, Mrs. Rose?" he asked before Silas rejoined us.

            "I'm thinking that was very nice and I hope we can do more of it.  Without being interrupted."  We walked a few more steps.  "And you, what are you thinking, Mr. Ignatius?"

            I saw him smile in the darkness.  "I think that with a bit of practice we could get quite good at that."

            I heard Silas' footsteps right behind me in the soft sand and gravel of the road and said, "I'm willing to make the sacrifice if you are."

            "What are you two talking about?" Silas said as he stepped up beside us.  "What do you need to practice?"

            Iggy reached over and punched his nephew on the shoulder.  "Oh, Mrs. Rose was worried that it has been so long since she has painted that she has forgotten how.  I told her that I would help her, let her practice on a place where it did not show.  That I would work with her as much as it took until she feels completely at ease."

            I had to laugh.  "That's it exactly.  Silly, don't you think?"


Today's toss was... uh oh, I didn't toss anything.  I was going to go downstairs to the games cupboard and see what there was that can go.  I'll do that tomorrow.

Writing was okay today.  Not as whiny as yesterday which pleased me.  Tomorrow I get the second shingles shot.  I'm not looking forward to that but it's important to get it.

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

You're upholding tradition making the party mix. That smell in the house is better than a scented candle! But you're going to have to be strong to resist temptation. I plan to make that wonderful toffee candy at some point in time to share with my bridge buddies.