Wednesday, December 2, 2020

That Solitary Bird

The solitary House Finch was back today.  It spent some time on the platform feeder pecking through the seeds and some time on the ground checking out what had fallen.  It amazes me how camouflaged he is when he's on the ground.  If it hadn't been for the little flash of pink of his breast and face I wouldn't have seen him at all.

 

I went  to ALDI today for some fruit.  I was out of grapes and down to one apple.  Can't have that.  I picked up a few more things while I was there.  It amazes me how people ignore the "one way" stickers on the floor of the store.  Just another sign of COVID fatigue, I guess.  But first I stopped at The Schoolhouse to pick up an online order for some gifts for the grandkids.  I'm trying to do some of my shopping local but it's hard when nobody carries what you want to buy. 



The knitting guild had a social knitting session tonight and it was just long enough for me to finish Cast Sock #5.  This yarn is some of the first yarn I ever bought.  I'm amazed that it's still around but I must have been saving it for something special.  I like these colors together.

 

 

02 December--Barbara Malcolm, The Seaview. 

             I took a sip of my drink, wiped my hands on my shorts, and stood up.  He drew me into his arms; I looked up into his eyes, and was lost in their dark depths.  The music seemed to come from everywhere and the crowd melted into a blur of color.  The lights dimmed and his spicy scent enveloped me. 

            "I knew we would fit together," he said, his lips brushing the top of my ear. 

            Too soon the spell of the slow dance was broken when the band swung into a reggae beat.  Iggy led me back to my seat, picked up my glass, and went off to get me another drink.  While he was away Edward came back and claimed me for another wild romp around the floor.  His face glistened with perspiration and his eyes were brighter than I had seen them before. 

            "How you liking the jump-up, Mrs. Rose?"

            I laughed and said, "I'm liking the jump-up just fine, Edward."

            I wondered what my children and friends would say if they saw me grooving to a reggae beat played by a steel band in a Caribbean beach bar.  When the song ended Zeke came up to claim me for the next dance but Iggy slid his hand between Zeke’s and mine.

            "I think Mrs. Rose needs a break," Iggy said, then he tucked my hand in his arm and walked me right off the dance floor and out onto the beach.  It was blessedly cool out there away from the crush of revelers.

            "Thanks.  I don't know if I'd have had the strength to get myself off that dance floor."  He just hummed, turned us away from the party and walked down the beach.  "It's so peaceful," I said, "I'm glad I'm here." 

            "Me too."

            We walked all the way to where the Blue Harbor resort spilled almost to the water's edge, and then we turned and strolled back toward the lights and gaiety of Johnno's.  All that time Iggy had kept my hand nestled in the crook of his arm and his other hand covering mine.  We didn't talk much, just walked.

            When we got to the path between the police station and Johnno's he turned to look down at me.  "Do you want to go back to the party?"

            I shook my head.  "I'm tired.  It's time for me to turn in." 

            "Me too," he said, "my employer is a real stickler for being prompt." 

            I snorted and gently shoved him.  "Oh, she's not that bad.  I bet she'd give you a break if you were running a little late tomorrow.  She might even be a little late herself."

            He put his arm around my shoulders and pulled me to his side, and then he walked me across the road to my door.

            I turned to face him in the dim shadows of the porch.  "I enjoyed our dance, Iggy."

            "I enjoyed it too."  He leaned toward me and touched his lips to mine.  Much sooner than I wanted he pulled away.  "Morning will come too soon, Rose.  Pleasant dreams." 

            He turned and walked away.


Today's toss was a handful of old Gillette deodorant and shaving gel that was in the back of the cupboard in the bathroom.  The stuff is so old that the gel is liquid and is all hazy.  Yuk.

Words came hard today even though all I wanted to write was the daily prompt.  I sure do wish I knew what made some days easy to write and others like pulling teeth.

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

My journal has much longer entries when I'm mad about something! Words come spilling out then. You're right about that bird being nearly invisible. I had to look twice to find him. Our stores don't have those arrows on the floor anymore but when they did, there were always people who ignored them. Maddening.