Sunday, October 28, 2018

Instead of Writing a Newsletter...

... I spent the afternoon batch-cutting my winter dresses.  I had that lovely pile of flannel that needed cutting and sewing into clothes, and it was time.  The dark plaid will be a jumper like all the other Dress no. 1's I've made over the last year or so.  The other four prints will be Dress no. 2's; they have sleeves.  I meant to make the vegetable print one (on the bottom of the stack) in the Dress no. 3 pattern (which is a caftan) but shorten it only to discover that when the pattern designer said that it needs 60" wide fabric she isn't kidding.  So it too will be a Dress no. 2.  I don't mind, it's simple to sew up and easy to wear.



Before cutting I went downstairs to hem and attach the pockets of the brown stripe Dress no. 1 that I meant to finish yesterday.  Now I have something new to wear tomorrow.



 


Lately I have felt a great need for a cookie so I used my last 2 eggs to whip up a batch of chocolate chips.  I got smart, though, instead of baking them all and having 45 cookies lying around begging to be eaten, I baked 15 of them and scooped the rest of the dough into balls, froze them, and bagged them.  They'll be moved to the basement freezer tomorrow so that they're out of easy baking reach.  I let myself have cookies, just not ALL the cookies all at once.


October 28--Roman, Empire Period, Head of Asclepius or Zeus.  He looked like an ancient Roman statue with his curly hair and beard and piercing gray eyes.  His name tag said "Silvio" and he drove the tour bus.  All of the older ladies tittered and giggled over him like a gaggle of 'tweens.  Marie couldn't be bothered.  She had schedules to keep, menus to approve, every day something cropped up.  This was not what she thought she'd do with her master's degree in anthropology.  Conducing tours around the Italian historic sites seemed laughable for a woman with her education but she had to live and nothing was cheap here.  Jobs were scarce and as her Gramps used to say, "Beggars can't be choosers."

Oh, what a dreary day today was.  I didn't even get fully dressed.  Worst of all there's still water on the basement floor around the new water heater.  I can't decide if there's a leak in the foundation (it's been raining), the furnace drain hose is plugged, or there's a bad weld or glue joint.  The plumber's coming tomorrow around noon to make sure it's nothing he did or didn't do.  If it isn't one thing, it's another.  (I will say that it's a great motivator to get a lot of the stuff downstairs up and out.)  And of course I have a zillion things to do tomorrow-a chiro appt., a writing date, I need to have my broker resend a form to Proctor & Gamble which I have to initial, and now the plumber, oh, and I want to go vote since I'll be out of town on election day--although that I don't have to do tomorrow.  *flings hands in air*
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

I have a mental image of you "flinging your hands in the air" - over all the things you need to do today. Hope that water on the floor in the basement isn't anything serious. Yesterday was baking day for me too. As I told you last week, banana bread was on my radar so yesterday it happened. The house smelled sooooo good. And the bread tastes even better. Thanks for the inspiration.