Thursday, October 25, 2018

Sedentary

That was me today.  I had every intention of busying around, sewing up that last cut out dress, accomplishing things.  What I ended up doing was sprawling on the couch knitting a bit, staring slack-jawed at the TV, and surfing the web a bit looking at a website Lala mentioned that I thought might be a place I could submit a story.  Maybe, maybe not.


Birdies visited the feeders but no juncos clonked into the patio door today.  The Red-bellied Woodpecker came again and I especially wanted to post this photo because right after it left this Downy Woodpecker flew in to take its place.  Quite a size difference.





 


Mrs. Cardinal came to check out the platform feeder offerings...


 

and I thought you might like to see the winter attire of a male Goldfinch.  In the summer it's a vibrant yellow but molts to this drab avocado color for winter.





 

The mailman brought me the temporary tattoos that I ordered on Sunday.  I found the "warr;or" ones that SN-D shared at The Clearing but also a hummingbird, dolphin, Virgo constellation, and "calm."  We can all use that last one now and again.




An email from Knit Picks a few days ago offered a free shawl pattern that I downloaded.  The pattern calls for 5 skeins of yarn in 5 different colors but, in the spirit of not buying yarn if I have something that will do, I dug out this pair of sock blanks.  I started with the lower left one and will alternate the sections so that the colors mix and blend.  It's a cool-looking effect as written but I've got this yarn, I like this yarn, so I'm using this yarn.  Even though I have 3 other projects OTN I had to cast on and knit the first part of it.  I promise, cross my heart, that I'll finish at least one project before I plunge full bore into the shawl.  Really.  


October 25--Sir John Lavery, Naval Ratings Embarking, Southampton, 1917.  The ship didn't look very big but once she realized that those ants on the deck were people, Emma changed her mind.  She held tight to Daddy's hand and tried not to get run over by the luggage trolleys that sped past.  The carts were piled high with cases plastered with colorful stickers.  Her cousin Caroline had a book of stamps from all over the world.  Travel stickers are better, Emma thought.

And here I sit doing this at 11 o'clock--again.  Arrgh.  Can I not tell time?  Do I not see when it's dark and suppertime comes and goes?  I completely spaced on suppertime tonight.  I think I need a keeper.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

The word has gone out in bird world that dinner is being served in your backyard. If you'd been sewing all day, you'd have missed today's visitors -- and we would have missed them too!!! Glad you had a "Slacker" day.