Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Happy Halloween!


Guess how many trick or treaters rang my doorbell.  Zero.  My porch light doesn't turn on unless it's dark so none stop even if I have the inside door open and the light on.  *sigh*  So I took my witch hat, my purple skeleton socks, and my chiming spider earrings across town to exchange a few suckers and some Halloween pencils for hugs from LC and OJ.  A good trade.


Yesterday at CS's I finished the last rows of Car Knitting Warshrag #12.  I love the colors but feel that the cloth is just too big.  I knitted the last row of bricks on the bridge the other day when I drove up the ramp only to find the drawbridge open and I was too far back to see the ship or maybe it was the dredge which has a tall aerial they have to open it for.






So for the next one I did some online research and some extemporaneous stitch counting and came up with a 1/3 smaller cloth to cast on and knit the start of.  I've got a teeth cleaning appointment tomorrow morning so I might have some time for waiting room knitting.  I'm ready.




The biggest thing I did today besides hug my grandchildren and their parents was take my serger and one sewing machine in for their million stitch check ups.  Good thing I still have my trusty old Necchi which I have had since I was 19 and won it when the local department store started carrying sewing machines so I won't have withdrawal.  The lady said it'll take about 4 weeks (yikes!) but I'm hoping it'll be less.  See above re: another sewing machine on hand.

The second biggest thing I did was go and vote.  I'm leaving next Tuesday to visit friends and family and next Tuesday is voting day around here so instead of trying to make time to vote before I leave I decided to just go and get it done.  Now if I could only convince all of the robocallers and political committees and interest groups to stop calling since I've already cast my ballot.  I tried to cancel my landline earlier this week but since it's bundled with cable and internet, cancelling would add $2 to my bill.  ?????  So I did the next best thing, I unplugged all but the basement phone so when the robocallers call I have nothing to answer them on.  Oh too bad.  This is fair warning, if you want to talk to me call my cell number.



It was amusing to see a trio of mourning doves taking a bath this morning.  Doves are the short bus riders of the bird world.  They waddle around on the ground looking bemused and then flap off when a leaf blows by.  These three stood in the water for a while, one of them crouched and dipped in the water a bit, and then they all flew away.  When they dip their beaks in for a drink I'm always afraid they'll forget to raise their heads and drown.


31 October--Jean Rousseau, Skull-Shape Watch.  There was something shiny tangled in the dead man's hand.  Larson pulled on gloves and gently teased it out.  A chain wove in and out between the fingers but he was careful.  The chain was broken, the ends dangled free of the stiff and curled fingers.  When the ambulance techs moved the body there was what looked like a silver marble under it.  Larson used a pen to turn it over.  He sucked in his breath.  It wasn't a marble, it was a tiny silver skull with a loop on the top.  He was sure it had been on the chain.

I have developed the habit of falling asleep in the afternoon if I sit on the couch to knit and watch TV.  I don't hate it, I'm surprised by it.  I've never been a napper.  Durwood was the napper here.  Times change.  I guess it's a sign of age. Or maybe I run around too much.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Run around too much? Are you kidding me? No wonder you fall asleep on the couch. But that's a good thing - even if it's a sign of age. I do the same thing and so does Paul. Each of us in "our" chair nodding off for a catnap. He swims afterwards; I start dinner. Life is good. BTW, that washcloth would work for cleaning up after a big Thanksgiving dinner. Very pretty.