Monday, October 29, 2018

A Day On Wheels

From 8 o'clock this morning until about 4:30 in the afternoon I was On The Move.  First I had to walk a couple three blocks (mostly downhill) to pick up the HHR which spent the weekend getting the little triangular parts of the rear fenders (just in front of the back tires at the bottom of the part that pooches out) that had been road-spray-blasted to bare metal painted and chip-resistant coated.  I thought I'd solved the dilemma intending to ask JR about having mud flaps installed but they're already there and obviously not doing their job.  He also took care of the rusting bottoms of all the doors and sprayed some anti-rust paint on them too.  He's a good guy.


Then it was off home lickety-split to nab a quick bowl of yogurt and fruit for breakfast, load up my writing bag, my estate papers folder, and the last of Durwood's firearms to take to the dealer this afternoon.  First stop was the broker to correct a form that had the wrong box checked (why can't they make things clearer so I don't screw up the first time?), then I drove back across town to the chiropractor to get my skeleton rearranged, next I hurried home to be jokingly harassed by a pair of neighbor guys out plying their leaf-blowers, and then went in to await the plumber who investigated the puddle on the floor to see if anything he did on Friday might be the root cause.  Nope.  I'm convinced (and have been since Saturday) that the water is from the hose meant to send the condensate from the furnace to the drain.  The drain end of that hose is dry and the furnace runs regularly now so there should be water trickling out.  I called the heating guys and scheduled an appointment for Thursday afternoon which will be No Charge because the furnace is 6 months old.  Sheesh.
 


After the plumber left I saddled up again and went to meet my writing friend ACJ for a couple hours of writing and discussion of writing.  I asked her to read the scene I wrote at The Clearing about a scuba dive and she had lots of questions.  She asked about things that I don't give a thought to but are confusing to a non-diver.  After talking to her I'll rewrite the scene and it will have much more detail.  Look at the cool earrings she made and gave me.  They're bottle caps with dolphins on them and a red bead and they came in this nice
little tin box.  I love them. Thanks, ACJ!


Then I zoomed over to the gun dealer, hauled in the last of the firearms and bullets and stuff, and sold them.  I am confident that those were the last.  Thank heavens.  I'm glad to have them out of the house.


I staggered home and sat on the couch, ate a bowl of chicken spaghetti, then knitted the last few rows of the orange Appleseed Coaster.  I decided to cut back on the pattern rows because the first one is rectangular rather than square and I like square coasters better.  Now I feel like I understand the pattern so I can resume knitting the fingerless mitts with the cable pattern on the cuffs.

29 October--Leonardo da Vinci, Head of Disheveled Young Girl (Leda).  Leo held the fragile charcoal stick lightly and drew it across the paper as if caressing the girl's cheek.  His feather touch left a thin line of black on the page, one line from her hair down to her chin and across to her opposite ear, no hesitation, no smudging out and starting over.  He had asked her to pin up her hair.  In the summer heat tendrils had escaped to curl around her head like a halo.  When he finished the quick sketch you would think an angel had sat for him instead of a street urchin he paid a few pennies to pose.

Alrighty then.  I'm bushed.  I'm going to slap some pictures on here and hit the sack.  More fun tomorrow--and the next day--and the next.  It never ends.  Maybe I'll get to the newsletter tomorrow after or on Wednesday.  If I'm lucky.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Whew! I'm bushed just from reading what all you did yesterday. Glad you found time in there to eat. Busy, busy, busy all day long. Love that red car of yours. Just that little peek at the fender looks happy.