Tuesday, January 2, 2018

I Refuse To Take More Frozen Birdbath Pictures

The birdbath's still mostly ice and it's still colder than a well-digger's ass in the Klondike outside, day or night, and it's not going to get any better or warmer until Sunday.  This is not photogenic weather.  Yes, it's sunny and that makes the crusty snow sparkle, but, I gotta tell you, it's too darned cold for me to take my camera and my shrinking flesh outside to take glamour shots of snow.

Speaking of shrinking flesh, I got the word from the doc at my last checkup that my blood
sugar is slightly high so with my family history of late-onset diabetes I need to take my eating in hand and drop at least 20#.  So along about the middle of November (right before the big eating holidays of Thanksgiving and Christmas) I jumped back on the Weight Watchers bandwagon with both feet and renewed determination.  As of yesterday I've lost nearly 15# since November 13.  Yay, me!  I'm not saying that I haven't bent the points system and outright broken it a time or two but I always climb back onto the straight and narrow the next day or next meal and forge ahead.  Sometimes being stubborn is a benefit.  Now it's enough lost to make a difference in how I feel and how my clothes feel.  I have no illusions about what will be available to eat this weekend at the writing retreat but I'll be home Sunday afternoon and hop back on track.  I never ever thought I'd say or think something like this but I've been listening to a guided meditation when I do my morning yoga practice and I swear it's helped me to stop being quite as much of an "emotional" eater and get through some tough times without resorting to eating a gallon of ice cream or a pound of chocolate to compensate.  Feels like progress.


My sole creative accomplishment today is that I finished knitting a new ribbed neckline on the Red Marl Sweater.  I have a few tails to weave in and the button's just posed there for the photo but it looks like I'll have this warmest of sweaters to take along this weekend.  I disliked the old shawl collar enough that I avoided wearing the sweater and I worked too hard and too long on it to let it molder in a sweater bag.

January 2--Sandro Botticelli, Profile Portrait of a Young Woman.  Her hair was beaded and braided, curled, tied up, and hanging loose.  It must have taken hours of work, patient combing, and arranging.  By the time it was finished my instinct would have been to run my fingers through it and pull it all loose, but she hadn't.  She wore her patience like the coronet of beaded braids that circled her brow.

Okay, that's it.  Sorry I don't have pretty sunrise or sunset photos to share or pretty snow pictures but it's just too cold.  Maybe next week.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Dropping fifteen pounds is a definite reason to celebrate. But not with a big chocolate bar or anything. Good for you. And yes, you do look very determined in that photo. But you also look fifteen pounds lighter! Well done. You deserve a weekend at The Clearing -- along with a warm red sweater. Very pretty.