Thursday, January 11, 2018

Still On The Jag


 


This morning I managed to eat breakfast before I broke out the apron and can opener.  Today's first recipe was Creamy Three Tomato Soup.  Durwood is a mondo-tomato fan plus we had those dried tomatoes we've never known what to do with that needed doing with so I sat with the kitchen shears snipping rings of solidified tomato into pieces while talking with a friend on the phone.  A half-cup of dried tomato snips is a lot.  I assembled all the ingredients, measured things into little bowls (mise en place), and got cooking.  This little bowl is the taste tester's portion.  He requested a second, equal portion to make certain that the soup was edible.  It is.







After lunch of lentil soup (mm, I love lentil soup), sesame crackers, grapes, and a clementine I got busy chopping and measuring to make Chicken & Rice for supper (only I used turkey thighs instead of chicken ones) since Durwood had an appointment this afternoon which would eat into my prep time--if we wanted to eat before 8 o'clock, and we do.  It's in the oven right now baking its little heart out and in about 25 minutes I'll sprinkle on a cup of frozen peas, clap the lid back on, and bake it for 15 more minutes.  By then the turkey will be done and the rice will be fluffy and flavorful.  We do love casseroles and one-pot meals.



Last night after supper and blogging I finished the bottom ribbing of the Black & Blue Shrug.  Tonight I'll pick up the stitches at the neckline and knit the neck ribbing.  After that it'll be on to the sleeves which I hope to make longer than the pattern calls for depending on yarn supply.




Didn't write the prompt last night.  I was extra tired when I went to bed--at almost midnight
like a doofus--so this is all you get.  It's raining.  It's been raining all afternoon and the snow is melting.  See?  As a bonus it's supposed to drop into the teens tonight so the roads should be all shiny and slippery tomorrow.  Oh goodie.  Fingers crossed that the weather-guessers guessed wrong this time.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

So much cooking. And healthy cooking too. But is that a package of some kind of donut peeking out from the corner of the chicken and rice casserole??? Glad the snow is melting a bit but hope there isn't a lot of ice out there. That has to be worse.