Sunday, January 28, 2018

Frustration Thy Name is Newsletter

I got the newsletter all written and laid out and liberally decorated with photos and graphics
but do you think I could make it save as a PDF?  No, I could not.  The program said it was saving as a PDF but it bloody well wasn't.  I stomped and stormed and ate too much and it still wouldn't work.  I called DD and she told me about a free utility, CutePDF Writer, to download that will convert anything you give it.  I went online and got it, downloaded it, even copied and printed off the instructions how to use it but it never occurred to me that it'd take so long for it to work that I'd think it wasn't going to work so I got out of the program and got back in after asking Broderbund (the newsletter software mfg.) what to do if "Save to PDF" wouldn't work with Windows 10.  (man, am I sorry I let the computer guy talk me into letting him upgrade my Win 8.1 to Win 10 by telling me that Microsoft was ending support of Win 8 this year)  It told me to use Microsoft Print to PDF, I followed the directions, it saved as a PDF, I emailed it to a friend, and she could open it.  Hooray!  Then she called having found a couple boo boos, I fixed them, and then couldn't re-save it.  Arrgh.  So I tried saving it with Cute PDF and that worked.  I plan to call the computer guys tomorrow morning and see if I can't go in to have them help me figure out if it was a software, hardware, or operator problem.  *sigh*

Yesterday morning just as the sun peeked over the horizon I was luckily up on the Mason St. bridge headed east and managed to capture just the top curve of the sun--without driving out of my lane or into another vehicle.






It was so warm yesterday that a lot of the patio ice, the part that I'd sprinkled with salt so OJ and I didn't kill ourselves walking out to fill feeders and play "ow-tide" anyway, melted and got rotten enough that I could take a flat shovel, break it up, and toss it on the grass.  Of course it froze again overnight but at least I've got a bit of pavement to walk on when I go out before I have to be super careful not to slip and fall.

I didn't write a prompt last night.  I was up until after 11 o'clock working on the newsletter, then I wrote a blog post, then I fell into bed.  I was determined to sleep in this morning.  Guess what time my bladder woke me.  Six AM on the dot.  Do you think I could go back to sleep?  Of course not.  I have high hopes for getting to bed in the next hour and maybe sleeping all the way until 6:30 tomorrow.  Wish me luck.
--Barbara

2 comments:

Victoria Jicha said...

Some programs will let you Save as a PDF within the Print menu. You tell it to Print and when the Print box opens up, look for the box that says Save as PDF.

Aunt B said...

I think you're going to rue the day you volunteered to take on that newsletter. Glad you have techie friends to help you. Cute pix of Oscar on FB. Of course, I love the one of the sunrise.