Sunday, December 31, 2017

I Gave Up

 

Every morning I reach over my head and put up the shade on the window above the bed.  Every morning there's ice on the inside of the window and the fringe on the valance waves in the breeze that comes in.  That window is the only one in the house that leaks and it blows cold air right down on me.  We've had enough excruciatingly cold days and nights that I gave up, went downstairs, got the stuff, and taped plastic film over the window to keep the cold out and the warm in.  While I was down there I also took a long screwdriver and turned the baffle in the heating duct so that a bit of heat comes through the vent in the bedroom.  Since I sleep with the door closed and no heat from the rest of the house can sneak in, it's been pretty darned chilly in here of a morning lately.  I fixed that.  I seem to be getting wussy in my old age.




This morning I whipped up a batch of Italian Semolina Bread dough so I can bake it up tomorrow because that, plus a pound of butter and an $8 Walmart toaster, are my contributions to the menu at the writing retreat I'm going to this coming weekend.  It should be FRIGID so being the designated fireplace monitor will keep me busy.  That's my excuse for getting up there around noon-ish on Thursday so I can get the fire lit so it's nice and toasty warm for the other arrivals.  I'm nice like that.  You'd better believe that long johns and woolens will make up the bulk of what's in my suitcase.


This afternoon I finished up the two dresses I started yesterday-- the black denim Dress No. 1 and the Navajo print flannel Dress No. 1.  I counted and I have now made nine Dress No. 1s.  That might be enough.  Next I plan at least one Dress No. 2 (with sleeves) and a couple Tunic No. 1s (also with sleeves) and once the weather starts to warm up some Shirt No. 1s.  But first I'll sew up the two pairs of Pants No. 2 (aka leggings) I have cut out--but probably not this week.  I also want to fiddle around with the Pants No. 1 pattern to maybe make the legs not quite so wide and put in side pockets.  These simple pattern shapes have really given me license to make clothes that I can vary to my taste and make me feel good to wear.  I am really enjoying making them.



Since LC's 4th birthday is on Wednesday (no, I can't believe it either) after finishing the dresses I sewed the marabou feathers onto the fancy bag I made for her.  She wanted "flowers and butterflies and diamonds and feathers."  Check.  I found a cool book for her too.  She's a real book lover like her daddy and her meemaw.


December 31--Jean Beraud, The Subscribers.  The unseen eyes followed the couple as they left their car, walked across the lobby, and entered the theater.  The time was checked, the program consulted, and a lithe figure detached itself from a shadowy doorway and hurried away.  In a few blocks she turned into a jazz club and was absorbed into the crowd.

I don't know. That seemed a lot more mysterious and interesting when I was scribbling it down and trying not to fall asleep.  Are you celebrating the New Year?  I doubt whether I'll be awake for it.  God, I'm old.  Happy New Year!
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Brrrr! Ice on the inside of the window? That's not good. You're going to freeze your hiney off at The Clearing but I know you love it and will have a wonderful time. Hope you get a break on the price if you get there early enough to have the place nice and toasty for the others. Happy New Year!