Monday, December 25, 2017

A Very Quiet Christmas

Merry Christmas from the frozen tundra that is Green Bay, Wisconsin tonight.  Right now it's a bone chilling -5 out there.  Earlier it was windy out there but I can't hear it blowing so it must have settled down.  Neither of us did much today.  My cold has brought along a cough that comes and goes but when it comes, it comes with a vengeance.  I thought about going to church this morning (really, I did) but I decided that I'd probably have a coughing jag in the middle of the service and have to leave.  

So I stayed home, stayed away from Durwood as much as I could, and ripped the collar off that red sweater I knitted a couple years ago because it wasn't right.  Why I did that today, I do not know but I did.  Now if I only picked up the right number of stitches so that the ribbing I plan for the neckline lies down nicely the way I want it to I'll be happy.  (I know why I did that today, it's my warmest sweater and it's bitter cold outside.  Maybe if I knit faster I can wear it to fend off frostbite this week.)


Despite the cold and wind I persevered with my supper plans.  I lit the charcoal and grilled the pair of NY strip steaks I got yesterday.  I sliced some red potatoes, put them into a foil packet with diced onions, thyme from the garden (dried now, not fresh anymore), and a bit of coconut oil that I baked in the oven.  I had some spinach and greens so we each had a salad to start with more of DIL1's yummy Red Lion salad dressing.  We decided to split one steak and save the other one for another evening.  Smart, us.







You know how the best gifts are homemade?  I saved the best to show you last.  Baba and I got homemade gifts from LC for Christmas, she even made the wrapping paper herself.  I love how pleased with herself she is, how she tells you that she made something "just for you, Meemaw" as her little hands flutter over the package.  She said the candy cane is for me and the wreath is
for Baba.






 
December 25--Jeanne Paquin, Ball Gown with Embroidery.  Ceille felt trussed up like a prize hog in the dress. She had to admit that it was beautiful--white silk satin with silver vines and leaves embroidered on the bodice and all around the hem--but it was supremely uncomfortable to wear.  The bodice was boned to show off her waist.  She could barely breathe and wouldn't even think of eating in it.  Not only was there no room for food the way her organs were squashed and squeezed but Mama said that ladies ate like birds in public.  Before getting dressed Ceille's maid had brought her a tray so that she wouldn't faint from hunger at the dance.  She might faint from being breathless but not from being hungry.  Her shoes pinched too.  It would be a long night.

The lengths women go to...  My last dentist appointment with our retiring dentist is tomorrow.  I hope I come home with nothing more than clean teeth and a new toothbrush.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Yes, the handmade gifts are the best of all. No wonder you have a cold. Don't grill out when it's minus five!!! That's a strict order from your old Aunt B! But the steak did look delicious. That was our fare last night too but grilling out down here on Christmas Day is a whole different ballgame. Loved talking with you yesterday. Hope you get over that pesky cough soon.