Saturday, November 25, 2017

Where Did The Money Go?

It went to Joann Fabrics, that's where it went.  Last night I decided to recycle the remaining "25% off your total purchase" coupon and let it expire.  I even tossed it out into the bin in the garage instead of piling it with the other newspapers to be recycled later.  But I couldn't get the fact that I'd bought those two patterned knits with which to make leggings and the only partially solid color Dress No. 1 I have is navy blue and neither of the leggings fabrics is anywhere close to navy blue.  I told Durwood this morning that I was tempted to go back for some solid color fabrics and spend that coupon and he said go ahead, even when I confessed that I didn't have stash money to pay for it.  AND I'm going away for a 3-day weekend in January that I can't pay for out of stash either.  (this being retired and not getting a paycheck so I can save money for extras is kind of a pain; I need to figure out a way to salt away a little money every month)

If anything, Joann Fabrics was even crazier today than it was yesterday.  I blame the
"fleece" people.  They had carts and CARTS of bolts of fleece, took forever to get pieces of it cut, and then more of them took their place.  I found some black denim and picante (orange) linen to make dresses from, got a length of black knit to make black leggings, and a couple lengths of cottons--the red and blue stripe I hope to use to alter a tunic I made last summer,  the speckled one to make an LC dress (maybe), and I don't know what I'll do with the blue "seapoint" print because it's only a yard but, eh, I wanted it.  I got some serger thread and more single fold bias tape too.


I didn't use my noodle like one of the fleece people I kept crossing paths with.  She said she grabbed a number when she arrived so by the time she was done shopping she didn't have to wait long.  I took my number when I'd finished picking out fabrics and it was more than 50 ahead of the number they'd just called.  *sigh*  So like yesterday I found a hiding place out of the way but still in sight of the action between two racks of seam binding and called up a word game to play on my phone.  Here's what it looked like.  I was glad to be safely out of the danger zone and not in anyone's way.










Before raking yesterday I filled the birdfeeders and this morning word went out among the feathered set.  A Downy Woodpecker spent some time on the suet pellets back by the retaining wall and a Bluejay made repeated trips for peanuts to stash.







Something bigger than a chipmunk has dug a burrow under the shed behind the house.  MW says it's probably a woodchuck (groundhog).  I haven't seen it and need to do a little research to see if I need to worry about it gnawing on anything vital over the winter.  Maybe it's just here for the fallen birdseed?  I don't even know what they eat.  Google to the rescue!  Tomorrow.

November 25--Vincent van Gogh, The Postman Roulin.  It was the ugliest wallpaper she had ever seen.  Virginia stood in the doorway and gaped at the turquoise paper close-printed with nosegays of daisies and poppies.  The stuff looked poisonous.  She was tempted to go down and request another room but the clerk had said she got the last room.  Maybe she'd fall asleep fast and not have to look at it for long.

I made a tactical error last night when I came in from raking leaves.  I took an Aleve because my lower back and hip were hurting.  Aleve has caffeine in it.  I don't tolerate caffeine well at all.  I went to bed at about 12:45--and didn't fall asleep until around 2:00.  Then I woke up at 6:30 for a bathroom run and realized I had to get up and get the turkey parts in the crockpotS because they needed to cook for 8-10 hours.  *sigh*  And I bought aspirin for just such occasions.  Oh well, I'll turn in soon and feel like a new woman tomorrow.  Yeah, right.  I can hope, can't I?  I don't bounce back from a late night at age 66 like I did when I was 36.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Well you went nuts in the fabric department. But it isn't your fault! Having a coupon is impossible to resist. And think of how much money you save by not shopping for clothes in a store. Besides that, you have a wonderful time creating so many cute, cute things. Congrats on finishing the Rebel Girl hats. Love those.