Tuesday, November 21, 2017

What Do You Eat Two Days Before Thanksgiving?

Why, Cornish game hen, of course.  Durwood was reading me the food ads this morning
and mentioned that someone has hens 2/$5.  I said that we had one in the freezer that we should eat.  He raised his eyebrows at me (which meant something completely different about 20 years ago) and the question of what to have for supper was answered.  And even though we are invited to Nana and Doc's for Thanksgiving dinner, once again Durwood wheedled me into making an abbreviated turkey dinner so we'll have a bounty of leftovers.  *sigh*  I snagged this turkey breast at Festival last weekend and spent most of this afternoon chasing down two turkey thighs, which are evidently the phantom turkey part this year.  I found an interesting brine/marinade recipe online for turkey parts you cook in the crockpot.  I have a pan of Mom's famous and delicious Green Beans Almondine in the freezer and promised to make a small batch of cornbread stuffing.  That's as far as I'm going down the slippery slope to having a fridge full of food that I can't eat and still stick to WW.
 
 
Yesterday morning I mixed up and baked a batch of Fast & Friendly Meatballs.  Following the lead of a couple of the commenters I minced about 1/3 cup each of onions and bell pepper, then sautéed them in a bit of olive oil with a teaspoon of minced garlic.  I also added 1 Tablespoon of Italian Seasoning.  This batch made 33 balls because I used a smaller scoop so imagine five packages like this.  OJ likes them and they're a quick and easy supper when neither of us can think of something to make.  Plus even in the 18-ball batch (bigger scoop) they're only 1 WW point each.




This bluejay came for a drink and a splash.  I do love the way they look and their brash and raucous ways.  I know I say that every time I post one of their pictures but I like these birds a lot so you'll just have to put up with it.  Or look away.



Last week when I had to repair LC's owl hat I realized that I didn't have the yarn needed to make another one should this one be unable to be repaired someday or if she outgrows it so I ordered the yarn to have "just in case."  That doesn't count against my yarn diet, does it?  I don't think so either.




After supper I went downstairs to sew a little bit and got the binding
attached to the neck and arm openings of the last Dress No. 1 I'm making for a while.  (Cross my heart.)  I'm hoping to have it done to wear on Thanksgiving even though I haven't been able to find a pair of brown leggings to wear with it.  I can find black all over the place and olive and wine red, even tone-on-tone prints and fancy shiny gold on black but do you think I can find a pair of plain chocolate brown leggings?  No, I can not, so I guess I'll wear my khaki jeggings or plain old black ones IF I get the dress done.  I'll probably end up sewing a pair of brown leggings but not before Thursday.  I have other dresses to wear but I won't wear the one that has become my surprise favorite which is the bright yellow one with the orange and blue flowers on it.  It's just so bright and cheerful on these dreary days.

November 21--Paul Signac, Saint Tropez, called Le Sentier de Doane.  The autumn leaves had fallen overnight and lay across the path like a golden carpet.  Gail walked along with her head down and her hands in her pockets.  She didn't notice the blue sky arching over the woods, not the cool-below-warm breeze that rustled along with her, or the birds and squirrels getting ready for winter.  It had been a long drive up from the city and she had looked forward to getting away to think.  Life was too busy with work and hobbies, friends and committees for her to have time to think.  Everyone was certain that her life was carefree but it wasn't, far from it.  Edgar had left her with a stack of unpaid bills and a house that was too old and too shabby to sell as is,  She needed help and she needed space to think.

Man, it was windy today.  Windy, windy, windy.  The older I get the more a windy day stuffs up my sinuses.  I guess it's all the stuff the wind stirs up but I don't like it, not one little bit.  I even took a nap this afternoon and I never do that.  Even with a nap I'm about ready to jump in the sack so, nighty-night.
--Barbara

No comments: